Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dec/Jan 2016 Lite Map Challenge: Murmurcreek Marsh

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Default Dec/Jan 2016 Lite Map Challenge: Murmurcreek Marsh

EDIT: Story of the map and final version.

bog_finished.png

The river captains who ply their trade on the Yondabakari river have many dangers to account for before
    reaching Magnimar, yet even the best are often lulled into a false sense of safety so close to their destination.
    Though the trip through the Mushfens is usually quite uneventful, the final bends of the Yondabakari take you
    through an area the locals refer to as Murmurcreek Marsh.

All captains are advised to keep well clear of the southern shore, teeming as it is with wild tribes of Goblins.
    Though they've always been a menace, ever since the mysterious structure known as the Seat of Marug was
    erected, a near religious fervor has taken hold of the tribes. On a clear day, a sailor who climbs the mast when
    the ship reaches the actual Murmurcreek will be able to spot the crudely wrought edifice in the distance, it's rough
    stone slabs littered with Goblin sigils and trophies.

Soon after, a thankful crew can take shelter with the small hamlets on the northern coast. These peat farmers and
    woodsmen eke out a hard life here, and ask a hefty fee for their shelter. Wether you are a pennyless traveler or a
    profit-seeking captain, beware of greed! For the boggard stalk the southern shore and will gladly swim north for easy
    prey, and even a stout and armed crew is no match for the wraiths and whisps that haunt the sunken cairns. Only
    these few hamlets appear to be safe from both boggard and ghost, and rumor has it the Fae of the Whisperwood protect
    them. Why these creatures would do so is any man's guess.

Another day's sailing ahead one will round one of the last bends of the river, and behind the grim mounds of ancient tombs
    the welcome sight of the Yondabar Garrison will beckon. In Ropemen Dock, straight across the garrison, one can hire
    a guide to traverse the ever-shifting bends of Last Crawl, and travel on to Magnimar beyond.
    --- Original post ---

I forced myself to enter this month's competition, even though I think I won't finish in time. We'll see!

I wanted to make a map I can use in my current Pathfinder campaign (using Rise of the Runelords as a base), so I chose
    an existing part of the map to 'fill in'. It's close by my player's current location, and will provide the setting for some of their
    sidequests.

It's located on the bottom right of this map, beneath 'Sandpoint'.
    I'm still working on the overall story and inhabitants of the map, and update it here once I have some more.

Currently I've just 'finished' the general waterways and decided on a colour scheme. I've done some tests with forests and hills, but
    they kinda failed. Hopefully I'll make some progress in that area today.
    I'm attempting a bit of a painterly style, allowing the linework to be loose instead of accurate. I hope it won't turn out to messy, but
    I'd like to finish the map with a nice, illustrated border (with vines and creatures and all that). Fingers crossed.

### LATEST WIP ###

bog.png
    Last edited by Onomanatee; 01-14-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Guild Novice

It appears I forgot to mention why the location is dangerous!
    My story isn't quite complete, but apart from a small garrison guarding the road (which will run in the northern
    part of the map) and some hamlets of peat collectors and fishermen, the area is wild and untamed. The whispering forest
    to the north is forbidden territory for all woodcutters due to the wild and capricious Fae that dwell within it, and in the east,
    a lone giant, exiled from the Storval Plateau far to the north, holds court over a few worshiping goblin tribes.
    The south-west is the domain of bogarts and worse, stalking through the fog-shrouded fen.

Although the main Yondabakari river is an important trade route to Magnimar to the west, none of the
    river's captains dare sail through the slow-moving Murmurcreek running to the sea for easy access to distant Cheliax, for
    all those who sailed upon it's waters return mad, or not at all.

Welcome to the challenge Onomanatee, I like the water you are working with.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Onomanatee View Post

I wanted to make a map I can use in my current Pathfinder campaign
    Welcome to the Party. I do the same thing all the time. If I can't use it somewhere in my Game I usually don't enter. To much going on in real life to waste time on things I can't use.
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Welcome to the challenge Onomanatee, I like the water you are working with.
    Thanks Bogie! I'm going to try and make it 'pop' a bit more before the end, but I'm quite happy with this technique.

Quote Originally Posted by jpstod View Post
    Welcome to the Party. I do the same thing all the time. If I can't use it somewhere in my Game I usually don't enter. To much going on in real life to waste time on things I can't use.
    So far I've been able to come up with an idea to use in one of my three settings every time, but they're usually to ambitious for one month. Especially now that I try to make small battlemaps for the encounters. This month I'm going for it though, since about half of my intended work is not necessary. (The illustrated border can be made a lot simpler if the deadline draws closer.) Hopyefully I'll get faster by doing this.

Guild Novice

So, real life kinda got in the way. Busy times are over though, so I can continue work on this map. I don't think it'll be finished in
    time, but I still have hope.

I've been working for a couple of hours today and yesterday on several random pieces without really having a plan, and I've reached
    a point where some parts are kinda maybe coming together. Still a lot of work to do, such as improving some textures, finishing the border,
    adding the dangerous parts (I'm kinda nervous on starting on those parts, so I'm postponing ), finishing typography, adding
    vegetation to the bog itself and a special kind of landmark I have planned...

Anyway, here is the latest WIP.

### LATEST WIP ###
    bog.png

Note: Typography may be a bit to small, but I've uploaded a smaller version of the map then the final product to save some time.

Guild Novice

I've added some markation and typography for the goblin and boggard tribal grounds. Still a fair bit to do,
    but the broad strokes are finished now. Tomorrow I'll finish the trees, reeds, hills and general clutter,
    add and improve on the typography, and try a few different things. Hope you all like it!

### LATEST WIP ###

bog2.png

Looks awesome so far!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Excellent! I really like the swampy ambiance.

Amazing use of colour and a very nicely drawn piece

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast