Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
From roads and and streams point of view you have the same problem. If you render each layer individually then you could plot them with a single line. If scaling from a large bitmap then they will get small and blend out of the image at small scale. If all you have is the bitmap then its a tough call to preserve small features at small scales. If you have it as a map element database then your into GIS domain again. So I guess the important missing info is what kind of map do you have and is it just a bitmap ?
Thanks, Redrobes, you described my problem with scaling exactly. Gmap Cutter appears to be a bitmap slicer -- I believe it just
chops the bitmap into 256-pixel tiles; then scales it down by some factor and does the same thing, until the entire image is down to 1 tile or so.
The Gmap API is a nifty Javascript that serves and navigates up those tiles depending on clicks and keyboard actions.

My basic map is a bitmap, but I am working on a larger version with photoshop. Alas, I don't think I am up for buying another commercial
tool ATM, but I willing to use a different method or tools in the process of putting in more details.
My question is -- what tools should I be looking at? Some of my initial searches talk about Shapefiles for map features,
(then using these in some sort of map server)
but how do I create those shapefiles for, say, rivers and roads?
In theory, I understand the difference between vector and bitmap descriptions, but I have no experience with vector tools.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?