Thread: Anubia - 1450 AD - Fantasy map for Shadow Lords RPG

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If you intend your Empire to basically be the Roman Empire, then I think Latin names would be a good way to make it different from the real Europe in 1450. So, yeah, I think it's a good idea. I doubt it will bother English-speakers, it should help make the world feel a bit more "exotic".

Oh, and probably the best source (well, practically the only source) of Latin names for regions like modern Germany is Ptolemy's Geographia. Unfortunately it's a bit hard to find a complete version on the Internet, but there are at least two (incomplete) versions that you could use.

The First is at LacusCurtius. This one uses a Latin base text, and some of it is translated into English (some parts have only the Latin text).

The Second is at de Res Historiae Antiqua, it includes Books I and II (that are completely translated into Englsih, I believe). This translation is based on a Greek text, so the names here are sometimes in Greek. But it shouldn't be too hard to convert them into Latin (Fabiranon -> Fabriranum, for example).

Edit:
    I should add that this is if you want to use "classical era" Latin names. Ofc alternatively you could use the Medieval Latin names instead (those should be much easier to find as well).
    Last edited by Charerg; 08-04-2016 at 12:20 PM.