Thread: The markgravate of Greifshold - first attempt at a campaign map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip The markgravate of Greifshold - Update: New version of Regional Map

Hi all,

a while ago I drew a campaign map for my DnD group, but kept it as a simple line drawing on a parchment texture. Lately I decided to colour the map in as a first attempt of making a campaign map.

I was inspired by medieval maps with their often weird isometric perspective. The drawing itself is more of a rough style and I debate in my head if I should go for something a bit more clean and refined. I thought of the colour spilling over the parchment.

I initially drew the map and its features rather small and enlarged the elements in Photoshop. I think I could add more detailing to the city at this larger scale.

I do like the light texture I achieved with a grunge/dirt brush on grass and mountains.

Shading etc. was done using layers in Photoshop, which also enabled me to try out a "nighttime" version of the map.

Opinions about the visual appeal of the map(s), suggestions and constructive criticism is always welcome and will help improve my technique. My next map will be a graveyard encounter and crypt map.

Tings I would like to improve:

1. Cleaner lines, but I would like to keep the "rough" appearance in some places.
    2. Better mountains. I feel they are a bit featureless at the moment.
    3. Adding some trees and lakes to the mix.
    4. Experiment with some other styles, inspired by the Carta Marina and Tabula Peutingeriana.

colourisation-experiment-text-grunge.jpg

colourisation-experiment-night-time.jpg
    Last edited by DaggerAndBrush; 06-30-2017 at 01:31 AM.