Thread: Mapping the southern kingdoms of Eruwoen

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Mapping the southern kingdoms of Eruwoen

Hello dear reader,
    I decided to open this thread to share the progress on my mapping endevour so that I could get critiques and advice from more experienced map makers. I'm not a priofessional artist or illustrator, I'm a DM from Italy that scribbled some rooms on a grid untill the other day and I have now decided to try my best with drawing a proper map to handout to my players. I'm a very very amateur map maker but I'm trying my best to study tutorials and reference material to produce a decent quality map for my own setting.

As you just read these maps will show regions of the continent Eruwoen, from the world of Cheangal, a personal creation for my homebrew setting. I've worked on this setting for some time tuning stuff and polish world elements. The continent has roughly the same area of Europe (I decided to go with something I'm familiar with), the southern kingdoms are the ones circled in pink and have a climate that resemble central europe with a bit of mediterranean climate splashed here and there. Here's a rough shape of this continent, I use this as a template and later refine my coast lines and shapes:

CBVwarn.png

To rejuvenate my mind from writer's block, I decided to draw a map of one region in this world I'm building. Ideally this is the region where the players will start their adventure. I used Photoshop and my XP-Pen Artist 12 display Tablet to draw it. Also, I know this is an international community but I'm writing from Italy and obviously this map is meant to be read by an italian speaking player; This doesn't mean much because a lot of names of most places are fancy fantasy names but some names are in italian, I will try to translate some of the names where it's possible. Now let me introduce you to:

The Woodland Shore

7S4HWrU.png

The northen region of Valasea, the watchful dominion, home to the black forest Myleanore and the city of Salesin known as a center of culture and trading. The region shares borders to the north with the Seventh Kingdom of Elevrand, a monarchy devoted to the cult of dragons and magic, and the Abyssal Wastes, a vast region scarred by the horrors of past cataclysm; to the south are the other territories of the watchful dominion, the Vale of the Twins nestled through two mountain ranges where two twin peaks (no pun intended) stand out amongst the other mountains. The scale shows the distance in days of travel, 24 mi/36 km each day. Technically this map is finished in the sens that it has all the elements I want but since this was my first attempt at drawing a proper map I will for sure come back to it and tune things here and there.

This was the first regional map I've ever drawn, I tried to do the best job I could following what I studied and I hope you like this as much as I do. I will soon move on the next region and update this thread to record my work. I have a lot of questions for you experienced map makers and critique is very welcomed because I want to improve as much as I can with these maps before handing them out to my players!
    Last edited by Nyasupan; 08-08-2019 at 11:50 AM.