Latest WIP. The best part for me is two of my kids (5 & 8 ) have started doodling maps. I may have to scan my five-year old's in and post it if I can. Also, I figured out that I'm going to use this map as part of some D&D I started with them. A few weeks ago we played (mostly as an excuse for them to roll dice and move miniatures on a map): They had to venture into a cave and recover a key from around the neck of a kobold wizard. They brought the key back to the town's mayor who opened an ancient box. And in the box was... up until now nothing, but now I think there will be a map!

continent-3.jpg

Added:
  • Swampland and mountains. I originally made my own "cattail" brush for the swamp, but found another that looked good while googling for a mountain brush. I have Wag's brush set (available here at CG), but I couldn't thin them out enough to feel right.

To fix:
  • SE-most city is not connected the surrounding alliance of city-states.
  • The outer border needs to be eliminated. The map will just fade near the edge of the parchment page.
  • Perhaps some sort of solid background to the cites and fortresses, so they stand out a little. The roads travel through them at the moment, and I think they are a little too obscured.

To-do:
  • Place names & Explorer's notes - This means I have to settle on a homeland for the map's author.

Story Questions:
  • Who is the explorer who made the map, and is he or she of the same homeland as the adventurers who will find the map?
  • There seem to be four factions in the region: the NW mountains, the NE traders, the SE traders, and the western cities. What kind of states are these and what are their inter-relations?
  • What are the two legendary sites, and what adventures might they hold?

Inquiring minds want to know.