Thread: The finished test.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking great I like the colour choices.

With the forests, it looks like you've used a hard round brush with scatter and a bevel layerstyle. It may not make any difference at the scale the map is meant to be looked at, but after a lot of recent experimenting, I've found the effect looks much more pleasing if you use 5 or so layers each with fewer dots on on each layer.

The repeat on the texture of the foothills is visible (again this may disappear when the map is zoomed out), looks like you've used a layerstyle or a pattern brush for that. If it's a layerstyle, maybe one more layer on top of it with a similar texture and a cloud mask to break up the repeat?

I really do love the colours you've used and the mountains look great.

Rythal & Jax, the farmlands are a tiling texture and you should be able to find it (or one very much like it) on the mapping elements subforum.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Looking great I like the colour choices.

With the forests, it looks like you've used a hard round brush with scatter and a bevel layerstyle. It may not make any difference at the scale the map is meant to be looked at, but after a lot of recent experimenting, I've found the effect looks much more pleasing if you use 5 or so layers each with fewer dots on on each layer.

The repeat on the texture of the foothills is visible (again this may disappear when the map is zoomed out), looks like you've used a layerstyle or a pattern brush for that. If it's a layerstyle, maybe one more layer on top of it with a similar texture and a cloud mask to break up the repeat?

I really do love the colours you've used and the mountains look great.

Rythal & Jax, the farmlands are a tiling texture and you should be able to find it (or one very much like it) on the mapping elements subforum.
    Thanks for the input. The forests are made as a layer style with "built in" tiling texture. When I painted it I used a scatter-type brush. I'll try to figure out some way to add more variation. The foothils are a layer style and I think I will make my own texture for that one next time to get it exactly right.

I will do some experiments to make forests with a single tree as a brush and then variate the colours automatically (with the brush). Has anyone tried this?