Thread: [Award Winner] Atlas Walkthrough [Fractal Terrains & Illustrator]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

HR... Please don't hate me... I just happen to keep having a lot of questions...

When you set up your Illustrator file... size 16x10, what do you initially have the color mode at (CMYK or RGB?) and at what raster effect DPI do you set it at? (300dpi?)

And, I'm new to Illustrator, so bare with me as I stumble threw this tutorial. Thanks.
    Have Pen. Will Map.
    Have Dice. Will Travel.
    GM for Hire | Artist and Cartographer | Free Quotes on

Post Graticule Missing

Hey Rob - really appreciate the tutorial.

Two fractal terrains questions:

1. I'm assuming you're saving 'views' from your globe view. Do you ever get near the poles? What would a map of one of your poles look like?

2. What CC2 setting do you use? When I opt to save as JPG I generally have to build with a CC2 export for the selection. I can't find a setting that exports the graticule.

-Sigurd

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    HR... Please don't hate me... I just happen to keep having a lot of questions...

When you set up your Illustrator file... size 16x10, what do you initially have the color mode at (CMYK or RGB?) and at what raster effect DPI do you set it at? (300dpi?)

And, I'm new to Illustrator, so bare with me as I stumble threw this tutorial. Thanks.
    CMYK, 300dpi. No sweat.

Also... don't wait for the grid to load. I can never get a 1 degree grid to show up in FT either, but when you save the jpg, it will be there.

Sigurd-
    Here is a map of the north pole. It works just the same as any other area of the globe, because I have chosen a map projection. As for CC2 settings, I don't use CC2 so I have no idea. Sorry!

-Rob

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I have an only slightly newer version of FT. When I save a "view" it makes me use a CC2 Setting as part of the export. The setting is inside of Fractal Terrains.

During your export do you Screen Capture? Or export views? or export numbers of files to cover your region?
    All I do is go File > Save, and use .jpg as my file type. I don't think my version supports views...

Hope this helps!
    -Rob

Thanks, It actually helped a lot.

I needed to use a different option in the program

Step 7. The Graticule
    Unfortunately, I don't know of an easier or more accurate way to do this step. To get a nice grid of latitude and longitude lines, I turn on the graticule image I created in FT way back at the beginning, and trace it with the pen tool. I really wish I knew of a better way to handle this step, but I don't.
    I exported a completely white layer beneath the graticule for the selection. No shading, white everything. Then I used the photoshop magic eraser to erase everything that was white and saved it as a PNG (preserves transparency)

I'm using this file instead of the JPG and its seems to work very well.

Sigurd.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 03-29-2008 at 10:14 AM.

Professional Artist

Good idea, Sigurd. I prefer to keep my graticule in vector format however, so I would still be tracing it anyway.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRob View Post
    Good idea, Sigurd. I prefer to keep my graticule in vector format however, so I would still be tracing it anyway.

-Rob
    Absolutely, but the JPG isn't vector and the PNG is transparent to make tracing simpler.

I'm (grudgingly) still keeping Illustrator in the loop to have vector roads and such and then the graticule might as well be vector.

Sigurd