Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
Much improved. Will there be a legend that defines what the different mountains/hills/other are? I'm still not keen on what I assume are mountains and hills as they are a bit too "blobby" if that makes sense, but I'm hard pressed to think of a better way to do them.

Check that. What if you colored the "land layer" in those areas with the colors you are using and then used a displacement to make them "pop" up? That would give you a better transition of color into those areas and still give you the shading that would provide height.
That displacement idea sounds like something to try to improve the maps!

I am sort of limited to the size of the mountains/hills and their locations based on the original crudely hand-drawn versions of these maps.

I participated in a "Build a City" thread at the CBG, a month or so ago, and LordVreeg fell in love with this style of mountains I created for maps for that thread - so I was hinted in doing that style. Because the mountains are so small or because mountains cover so little of the total map - I found it alittle difficult to work with, hence these little problems. Let me try the displacement technique you mention, RP, and see if I can improve them any.

GP