Thread: [Award Winner] Sketch Style World Mapping

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Got a question, at step 8 it says "add two level adjustment layers". When I click on the button as indicated by the screenshot I get a menu, which option do I need to select?

I'll post my result after I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Domo230 View Post
    Hi Moe, thanks for the advice. I am still a little stuck. I downloaded the brush image and it is a .PNG file. However photoshop does not seem to accept brushes in a .PNG file format. Is there something I am missing?

All the best

Domo230
    I have PS CS6 Extended but I assume it is the same for most PhotoShop versions. To define the brush image as a new custom brush open the PNG file and go to "Edit" then click on "Define Brush Preset...". Insert a name for the new brush and click "OK". You know can select the brush from the brush menu.
    Last edited by Iggy; 07-21-2013 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Corrected two sentences.

3q1i.jpg

Here's a pic of the progress I have made so far with my wild west rpg map. I took the tutorial and made some small changes to make it my own.
    Next step is to find out how to shade the map territories and add some smaller details like towns and hills etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Domo230 View Post
    Here's a pic of the progress I have made so far with my wild west rpg map.
    Hey Domo,

nice job so far! Is there any chance to get hands on the RPG you mentioned by the time it'll be finished - or is it a private round?

As for my personal taste, I'd like to see you using another type of bevel around the coast line. This gradient style weakens the sketch impression one likes to see while exploring your map.

Cheers
    >Moe
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    Got a question, at step 8 it says "add two level adjustment layers". When I click on the button as indicated by the screenshot I get a menu, which option do I need to select?
    Hi Iggy,

first of all: thanks for your proxy reply to Domo. I was on a biz trip and not able to help at that point. But in general I advise you to use all-mighty google for any questions on how to use PS as it answers way faster than me sometimes ;-)

To your question:
    As it says in the text: "Add two level adjustment layers" by selecting them in the pop-up you mentioned. In case you use the latest version of PS (which I'm not familiar with) it might be hidden within another menu - if so: try to get some orientation by checking out the screenshots. The thumbnails of the level adjustments are pretty recognizable.

Hope this might help - in case I can't quit break some aids to you within short time grant me some patience ;-)

Cheers
    Moe
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -