Thread: I'm getting a new inkjet printer!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Thats cool - thanks. The last time I used a commercial print they took CMYK Tiffs only and I had to do all the ICC stuff myself. It wasn't as easy as I imagined basically because I don't have a full suite of Adobe products to do it with. I must be that 1 in a 1000 annoying guy who insists on doing it differently.

here is a link to an image size calculater

http://www.colorspan.com/support/tools/filecalc.asp

it focuses on colorspan large format printers
    but should be applicable to most large format printing

btw Gamerprinter did you ever look into the colorspan printers

they are really nice and there are even some models that will print on rigid substrate

Post Looked at them all...

Yes, Mathuwm, I'ved looked at Colorspan. Actually my current printer can do rigid substrate printing now, but it never really gave me an advantage, over printing and later mounting, not really enough work to justify it with another rigid printer.

Basically budget has been the main thing to guide me towards the Canon, not to mention its excellent print quality.

The Colorspan and printers similar to it, are priced from $15K and up to $50K or more.

With special pricing, competitive trade-in, I'm paying alittle over $4K. The Canon was too good a product at such a low price, I couldn't pass it up!

Despite the price, consider that a full set of inks is around $1200, (330 ml tanks feeding 8 carts), so this definitely falls out of most home users as a practical printer, unless you're a pro photographer, of course.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-14-2008 at 01:38 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

that is a great price

happy printing to you

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

wow... ya ...that is a nice price... I didn't want to be nosy and ask... so I spent the better part of 4 hours looking at printers... I think i'm blind in one eye... but what i'm really looking for is a good flatbed scanner... the kind with no indentions so I can scan a large (18x24) into chunks and piece them back together in Photshop or Illustrator...

Any suggestions on something like that... (affordable) wouldn't hurt my feelings... (or my eyes)

Have Pen. Will Map.
    Have Dice. Will Travel.
    GM for Hire | Artist and Cartographer | Free Quotes on

epson scanners are inexpensive and do a nice job.

i use one at work.

a couple thoughts on scanners

photoshop can make up for an OK scanner

OCR is way better than it used to be

and descreening filters included with many scanner sw can do wonders when scanning artwork with halftone screens
    Last edited by mathuwm; 06-14-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Post A year ago, but...

Last year I was looking at replacing my 11 x 17 scanner, and was searching for something bigger. The larger the area of a flatbed scanner, the exponentially becomes the cost. Very quickly a roll-fed 36" scanner becomes far more reasonable.

Standard Legal size (8.5" x 14") scanner can be found for less than $100, even less than $50.

An 11" x 17" scanner ranges from $150 to $1000 (depending on resolution and features).

I've got a 12" x 18" flatbed which I paid $1500 for - that was my replacement.

There are two 18" x 24" flatbed color scanners out there - both cost from $15K - $21K to purchase.

There actually exists a 24" x 36" flatbed scanner created for scanning museum pieces which costs $50K USD.

That was a year ago, though.

You can get a roll-fed scanner, a few available with a flat scanning path allowing rigid material scans (nothing too thick though) that cost around $8K to $15K
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-15-2008 at 05:23 AM. Reason: added roll-fed scanner info
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations