Thread: Elvrae

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by dmjohn235 View Post
    I need some advice from some people that actually know what their talking about.
    I do not always know what I'm talking about (especially when talking about maps) , anyway here's my two cents on your map.
    I must say I like it, it's pretty detailed and still clean and neat. If you're aiming to a simple yet complete way of illustrating a regional geographic area, I think you're on a good road.

I think the mountains need a reworking, it's ok they're basic in this kind of map, but their shapes don't convince me, they seem to be more rushed compared to other features of the map.
    I would also add a border (even the most simple one generally improves the overall work.) and maybe a legend and a title.

Guild Novice

Thanks!
    What kind of border do you think would look good on this type of map. Maybe something like this?
    Elvrae Map v4 Lines +border cropped.png
    Or does it need something more substantial?

In all actuality, I think I've spend more time on the mountains than on any other one feature on this map. (Except maybe the forests. Maybe.) I can't for the life of me seem to get them right, which is really sad considering I live in a small valley with mountains on every side...
    Personally, I like this style from fantasicmaps.com:
    isoMountain2.jpg
    My attempts at emulating it don't look quite so nice, but do you think it could work?
    Mountains Test.png

Anyway, thanks a lot for your advice!