Thread: My first mapping project relaunched: Thylis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Time for another update

I started with the final version and after some tries I think I know now, which stile I want to have in the end.

There is still much work to do and some minor things will be changed (for instance the fonts) but I`d like to know, what you experts think of this.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, which was very helpfull so far!

Thylis.jpg

I really like the map Kelron, its very well done . Since there has been a lot of concentration on the rivers, I like to add in a few comments on them as well.

The mountains in Sinas, and west of Isos seem to be the tallest, and each only have a two rivers flowing from them that join into a larger single river. While your much smaller mountains north of Reshtan have several rivers flowing and joining into at least 2 larger rivers. This is unusual in actual geography. Higher mountains ranges, tend to have many more rivers for a variety of reason. They either trap a lot of water in glaciers or ice caps, which feed continual streams, and creeks, or they create large rain shadows, creating downpours on the coastal side of the range, and dry arid landscapes on the continental side of the range. the Himalayas are a great example of these factors. Another factor affecting rivers is air currents. Take the Waimea Canyon in Kauai, they get at their peaks, on average, 360 days of rainfall per year, accumulating to about 600 inches of rain water per sq. inch. The tiny little island, which has relatively large peaks, has several rivers and dozens of waterfalls. So my suggestion would be to either, change the scale of the mountains north of Reshtan to make them the tallest on the island and scale down the height of the other two mentioned ranges, or to lessen the number of rivers flowing from the mountains north of Reshtan, and increase the number of rivers flowing from the mountains in Sinas and the range west of Isos. This will help give a geological rational to the layout of the map.

Also, you mentioned that this is an Australia-sized continent that is part of a larger world. I would suggest that before you draw out, in detail, the rest of the world, that you draw rough bubble shapes of continental shelves, with the continents themselves superimposed on the shelf bubbles. Then create a simple arrow diagram of continental drift, this will help you immensely in deciding where to place mountains ranges. Doing this will give you an idea as to where continents are pulling apart, and where they are crumpling together.

I hope that this helps you in your map design

Stephen.