Thread: Denedor's Tower (D&D home brew)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This is mostly a pointless aside, but I'll go for it anyway: I know torches are the popular thing to use in any century preceding the 1800's, but the fact is people used lamps and candles or whatever light was available from the fireplace. Torches are impractical in almost every sense, but especially from the danger of large open flames and copious amounts of smoke they would have created. That is why the invention of kerosene was such an important invention as it was the first step in lighting up the night for most of the worlds people. If you feel like nerding out a bit and learning a bit more, you can watch these videos: Torches: outdoor use - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    This is mostly a pointless aside, but I'll go for it anyway: I know torches are the popular thing to use in any century preceding the 1800's, but the fact is people used lamps and candles or whatever light was available from the fireplace. Torches are impractical in almost every sense, but especially from the danger of large open flames and copious amounts of smoke they would have created. That is why the invention of kerosene was such an important invention as it was the first step in lighting up the night for most of the worlds people. If you feel like nerding out a bit and learning a bit more, you can watch these videos: Torches: outdoor use - YouTube
    Not pointless. I was just joking, but you're right, that's more a TV trope than anything.

I am curious about something else though - when did windows come into regular use? I toured Monticello last year (Jefferson's home he built in the late 18th century), and the guides pointed out that his design was really unusual in incorporating so many windows. Now I think that windows have been around for some time for public buildings - I'm thinking even of stained glass in gothic churches - but I'd also imagine the process was less efficient long ago. When would palaces, castles, etc. have started using glass regularly?