Thread: Village of White Water

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Falconius, you make an excellent point. This is a jungle/rainforest area just south of the equator. The climate would be similar to Panama's northern Atlantic side. (I chose this type of area because I was stationed in Panama for 3 years). Palm thatch roofs would be common in most areas at the edge of the jungles or near the coast. These roof keep the rain out but must be replaced every year to get rid of rot, insects, snakes and other vermin. The wealthier areas would have tile roofs. Both roof types would be sloped to allow heavy rain to run off. This village started as a logging town (about 30 years ago) to log expensive lumber. As areas were cleared allspice trees are being grown so this town has money.

This is a company town so the buildings are cookie cutter type with little variation in styles. The warehouses near the docks have side walls and roofs but no front or rear walls. They are used to keep the lumber out of they rain while waiting for transport.

There is one important building that I have forgotten (that you made me think of while reasoning out the history of this town) the sawmill. There is fast moving water east of the town that could provide power. If the logs are just rough cut, human power could do the job of ripping the logs. I am going to have to decide elevation changes in and around this town. If the ground is higher on the north side it may be feasible to build a log flume across the river near the ferry. This would not interfere with the sailing ships and would keep the ferry free for other uses.

You guys are great! Please keep me thinking!
    Last edited by Adversary; 10-12-2014 at 11:26 PM.