Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A first attempt at a map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Sorry for the long time for this update, although I have now finished the rivers and turned it round as suggested and this is the result:Antique.png
    I hope the braided river doesn't look too out of place, starting the mountains tomorrow, although won't be able to do much work on them until Saturday.

Guild Novice

Okay, I've added the mountains/hills, just need to get the plateau that I'm working on looking decent and the forests done. Then I'll be on to cities and roads

Antique.png

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'd treat this as a top down map at the moment (the aspect ratio looks top down).

To make this isometric - I span it round 45 degrees. Then I scaled it vertically by 57.7% (tan(30 degrees)) Here's the result:IsoAntique.png

You notice that the vertical scaling seems to stretch things horizontally. So you're rivers look quite a but different to before. I span it round because I wanted the longest piece of the island to be horizontal - that helps sell the isometric angle.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'd finish them top down, then rotate and vertically scale it. That way you don't have to worry about 'iso' style rivers - it'll just work.

After rotation and scaling, you can draw the vertical features into the map (mountains, trees, cliffs).

Cekoti - the maps size/resolution is a bit too low to really see the work you've done.
    It is hard to comment when I can't see it very well.
    From what I can see, it looks good though the trees seem a bit strongly contrasted.

Agreed with J.Edward, lots of maps I post are 3000 to 4000 pixels wide, while your map is only 619 pixels wide - that's pretty small. I can't see much detail in your map.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Novice

Thank you for the replies - I've stretched the map by 4x in each direction, and so will be redoing all the features because, as expected, the features looked a little iffy once stretched. However, I think that the bigger size is actually helping a lot, so definitely something I'm going to take forwards!

Guild Novice

Okay, map blown up, and redid everything. Does this help you guys see the detail a little more?
    Many thanks for taking the time to look even though I've had really slow updates!
    Antique.png

Guild Novice

Map

Okay, it's been a while, been away but I've finished the map, if you notice anything please do say, and I will try and change it. Any thoughts on a colour I could use for the heraldry that wouldn't clash but would make them more visible?
    Anyway, thoughts?
    I had to reduce the size to get it uploaded.
    upload.png
    Cekoti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12