Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the City-kingdoms of the Haréshk - Atlas Elyden

Gorgeous work!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    thanks, I downloaded the pdf, though can you provide any more insight? So if only the first letter is Capitalised I shouldn't space the letters?
    I think its more about the levels (hierarchy) of naming. Areas, such as mountain ranges, seas, deserts, large country names, territories work well for letters spacing since they cover larger areas, so knowing this, these would be upper case letterforms, where cities, towns, rivers are smaller and lend themselves to upper & lowercase. When I do a map with lots of labels, I spend some time making a hierarchy chart on how to handle each type of label. National geographic always do a nice job with there labels.
    I'll try to dig on up if your interested

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Yeah, fantastic map, Vorro I actually like the somewhat disorderly labeling structure. A hierarchy as Snodsy suggests does make it easier to see what kind of feature the name belongs to and typography guidelines are generally good for legibility, but a looser approach makes it more… natural, organic, authentic. Both have advantages imo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12