Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: September 2016 Challenge: The Hamlet of Coldfern

Nice setting and such a sweet palette !

Thanks for the comments, guys. Much appreciated.

kacey, I haven't finished the snow along the cobbles. I was in the middle of it when I uploaded the pic and I'm going to do some more work on it. Glad you like it so far.

snodsy, good idea about clustering some of the buildings. I'll see what I can do.

Abu, thanks for the comment. Haha, if you're feeling the heat a bit too much, you can imagine yourself wandering Coldfern!

thomrey, thanks!

I've started working on my re-doing buildings and will probably have another update in a few days.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Nice start, ChickPea. I like the colour scheme; it definitely conjures a bit of a winter-wonderland feel to it.

I'm not a huge fan of the very sharp lines (I prefer lots of texture and patchiness) but I guess that's unavoidable with a vector-based map.

Looking forward to seeing the next stages.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I love the trees. The trees make it magic! Also, I really REALLY love the stone paths, the time you've spent there has paid off. I'm interested to see how you handle snow. Awhile ago I went down a rabbit hole of how particles move and flow in order to better depict things like drifting sand and snow. It's really hard, but I think you can do it without a supercomputer What you've started with is already looking good. Thanks for sharing this!

cheers,
    Meshon

Very "cool" map so far ! I noticed we can see the water under the bridge, is it intentional?

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    Nice start, ChickPea. I like the colour scheme; it definitely conjures a bit of a winter-wonderland feel to it.

I'm not a huge fan of the very sharp lines (I prefer lots of texture and patchiness) but I guess that's unavoidable with a vector-based map.

Looking forward to seeing the next stages.

THW
    Normally I love a highly textured map too, but I wanted to try an all vector map, partly because I wanted to see how far I could push Inkscape, and partly because I'm a masochist. Maybe once the challenge is over, I'll drag everything into gimp and texture the hell out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    I love the trees. The trees make it magic! Also, I really REALLY love the stone paths, the time you've spent there has paid off. I'm interested to see how you handle snow. Awhile ago I went down a rabbit hole of how particles move and flow in order to better depict things like drifting sand and snow. It's really hard, but I think you can do it without a supercomputer What you've started with is already looking good. Thanks for sharing this!

cheers,
    Meshon
    Thanks Meshon.

For the cobbles, well, you know, I learned from the master! (Ahem, everyone check out this tutorial. BTW Meshon, the link in your sig doesn't work any more. Might want to update that). For the snow, I'd like to add some shading at least, to give the impression of drifts, but not sure how it'll look. I'm becoming a little concerned about running out of time, so I'm going to concentrate on finishing the main stuff then I'll see where I'm at.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very "cool" map so far ! I noticed we can see the water under the bridge, is it intentional?
    I've added a bridge in place of the cobbles. I probably should have deleted the cobbles going over the water before, to make it clear that there was going to be a bridge, but I forgot!

I've finally managed to put together an update, though I think I've been staring at it too long tonight and there are probably a bunch of mistakes. Things I've still to do include the panel at the bottom left, which will have labelling and hopefully a little illustration. I also need to redo the snow along the edge of the cobbles. I haven't touched that since last time, and it's a bit messed up in places since I moved buildings around, so just pretend that isn't there for now.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coldfern.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	5.06 MB 
ID:	87854

Simple yet extremely precise - the real beauty of vector drawn maps

You bravely chose one of the colour palettes that I ran a mile from. Great stuff - an exciting and inspiring work

Hehe, thanks Mouse! One of the joys of vector is that you can change the colour of a whole bunch of objects at once, so I tried lots of the palettes before I settled on this one. If my trees look, err, slightly unusual, you should have seen some of the colours that I tried and rejected!

I'm hand-waving everything away by saying 'Elves' and 'magic'. No other explanation required.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Oooo I love the color pallete here and the way you are using it. I wasn't sure at first how you would work it into something but it definitely fits. I love it!

Map

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coldfern.png 
Views:	440 
Size:	5.47 MB 
ID:	88059

Final wip. Didn't have much time this last week so there are definitely parts I feel could have been better, but since that could be said about every single map I've ever made, I'm not stressing it

Hope this upload works after the recent system upgrade!!

EDIT: And I forgot to say thank you Tonnichiwa for your kind comment. So glad you like it.
    Last edited by ChickPea; 09-30-2016 at 03:03 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast