Thread: First "Commission"

Guild Apprentice

Map First "Commission"

So here is my first attempt at a commission (unpaid). I wanted to get an idea of the process of producing a map for someone else. Very happy with how this one turned out and pleased with the process. However probably did take a little bit longer than I had hoped.

FirstCommission.jpg

Happy for feedback, critique, etc.

The map was created in GIMP.
    I used brushes created by Daphne Arcadius (http://starraven.deviantart.com/).

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Nice job on doing the commission, jslaw! I particularly like the colours you chose for this piece, especially some of the lovely tones of green in there.

The elements look nice and even if some are brushes by someone else, you've made good use of them and paid attention to detail where you need to. The labelling is well done and a good choice of font (only one that irks me just a tiny bit is the Ork Lands at the south, which I think needs to move down just a tad to avoid that river section more).

A few quick things I noticed though, some of which might have been due to the brief more than your choice though. One is just the composition of the whole piece seems a bit strange with the massive gap in the middle. I've seen (and done) maps with the sea gap across the centre, but I think here it just seems a tad unbalanced. Perhaps having the landmasses at more diagonals could have helped, though as I said, I imagine that was more down to the commission brief.

Also, just with the continent in the bottom right. It has the seven pillars and the river system, but I can't help but feel a tiny bit more variation or a bit more texturing to this section could have helped, as it noticeably stands out to me and I think doesn't help with the balance.

I hope that all doesn't sound too harsh. There is plenty to like about this piece so you are rightly proud of it and I hope your client is happy with it too!

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback GLS.

Everything you said is a big help. I must have had a layer turned off when I exported. There should be more colour variation in the bottom right. I'll need to have a look tomorrow. I might also see about moving that ork label, good point.

Not sure about the sea. It is big, and I didn't know what to put there.

As I said I'm reasonably happy, and glad to hear you liked it

Edit: Spelling and typos
    Last edited by jslaw06; 11-17-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Nice work Jslaw, a very solid first commission. The paper texture seems a bit too "rough" when zoomed in (particularly in the ocean). I'd set the bump-map or emboss settings lower next time. But overall the colors are good and the elements all work reasonably well together (though I agree with GLS about the composition).

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

Thanks heaps Arsheesh!

I really appreciate all of the feedback I get at the guild. Such a big help as I'm starting out