Thread: Post-apocalyptic Europe map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I get this darkness stuff all the time so don't be too worried over it. Evidently you and I both have our monitor setup brighter than most so that everything looks good (to us) but others can't see. What I do to fix that is to put a solid layer of white over top of everything, reduce the opacity to 50% or so, then set the blending mode to soft light. In the end it's much easier for me to do that than to tell everyone that their monitors are too dark Keep up the good work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

The text is hard to read for me as well. A small, tight, pale yellow glow outlining the black text would work better IMO.

Great map though, looks like an interesting world.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by loydb View Post
    The text is hard to read for me as well. A small, tight, pale yellow glow outlining the black text would work better IMO.
    I don't know how to do that, I'm not that good!

Plus, I think it would destroy the look of the map. It's meant to look like a real map made with Victorian/WW1 era technology, not futuristic with glowing letters.

Quote Originally Posted by loydb View Post
    Great map though, looks like an interesting world.
    Thank you!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Nice map indeed. I agree about the text though. The background could do with being lighter so that the text is a little easier to read. That would keep the concept of a hand drawn map but make it a little easier on the eye.

Have some rep!

Guild Novice

Hopefully this map will be easier to read for the blind ones among you.

This is part of a small poster which is issued by the Institute for the Study of Other Timelines [I.S.O.T., an AH.com in-joke which you won't get, but nevermind], an organisation dedicated to the study of alternate worlds using their timestream jumping and time travel technology [also teleportation, in order to ensure that their Agents appear in exactly the right place and not in the middle of a crowd of people].

The Institute's general procedure for when they find a new timeline is to assess whether it has been/is being/will be tampered with [time travel messes up the tenses a bit]. If it has been/is being/will be/whatever tampered with then they try to stop it. If they determine that they can't find who has/whatever tampered with it then they lock that timeline off, occasionally doing extra sweeps for interference in case more evidence presents itself.

If the timeline hasn't been interfered with or they can stop any form of interference then they study the timeline for a bit, determine the current situation of the world, analyse key differences between this history and our own, and try to pin the exact point of divergence within a certain century.

The timeline is then assessed as to whether it's important in anyway, some sort of unique/relatively unique features may be enough to have the timeline be open to study, generally timelines with history close to our own are open for study in order for the Institute to better understand our own reality.

Some especcially important timelines are open for active study, i.e. the Institute is actively sending in research teams in order to learn more, whereas timelines that are open for study aren't being actively investigated, but teams are occasionally sent in when the Institute doesn't really have much else to do.

The poster of which this is a piece of is part of an introductory package given to prospective Agents who need to do a great deal of case studies and essays on various timelines and areas of history [they are never actually allowed into a timeline, though]. The timeline described in this poster is Timeline 181, a timestream which is under active study, and so it has the greatest amount of information recorded about it.

The specific point of divergence of the Timeline 181 is not known, but their history is quite similar to our own and appears to work on the same principles [as opposed to history in other timelines which seem to make no sense at the first glance], this world has diverged from ours and yet has resulted in a reasonably similar result, so it is a good timeline to study in order to better understand our own reality. It's also not as complicated as some alternate realities, so it makes a relatively easy case study for prospective Agents.

Anyway, enough of me waffling, here's the map. I intend to finish the rest of the poster, one day...
    Attached Images Attached Images