Cool- thanks for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
...I would be interested in seeing if there is a way to get a bit more definition on the edges of the tree shapes, but keeping the shadows somewhat blurred. It seems that when the trees are by themselves or more sparse they maintain a more defined edge, but when they get more dense they seem to blur out a bit, although this may just be my eyes not being able to pick up the detail when there are more trees.
Yes, I think you're right in that as the trees stack up and overlap there's less definition. Partly, this initial tree illustration itself has a heavy shadow side, but there may still be some ways to make sure they don't get lost, while keeping the atmosphere of the gathering shadows.

Sort of like a pop-out map instead of isometric.
Yes a pop-out map is a good way to describe it! And this would hint more towards a 'paper' map, with a particular style. The map is not the territory, after all, I keep telling myself, though it is interesting to play with that relation. What happens if someone walks by and folds up this map, do the inhabitants see 'Inception' happening before their eyes? Ok no the pop-up map would flatten back out and no one is horribly crushed. phew.

Just as a final thought, the forests you made really remind me of Age of Empires I style rendering. I always thought that style was cool and you seem to have replicated it in a black & white/sepia tone.
Its funny you mention Age of Empires, I think that is part of the draw towards this style for me, rooted in the many countless hours of classic RTS games C&C, Red Alert, AOE, Stronghold, oh and Lord of the Realms II. They all had this perspective view, with large scrolling maps to reveal and explore.