Quote Originally Posted by Brendo View Post
I loved the work, especially when I realized from your description that it was a real city! It's twice as hard to make beautiful maps of places that already exist, and you did it very well!
Quote Originally Posted by Simkin View Post
As already said, the map is really good. Congrats
Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
Your constant shift towards pink sends a dreamy vibe to this already beautiful map !
Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
Excellent! Your color palette works very well and the whole map is very clean and pleasing to the eye.
Thanks so much for the kind words! Really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valterink View Post
Would love to see a "speedpaint" video of this work! Didn't know this could be done using QGIS! I use it for my day job (environmental legislation stuff), your map is really interesting!
Haha a speedpaint video would consist of me going back and forth trying six different shades of a colour then going back to my first choice!

Most of the work here was done in Inkscape rather than QGIS. I used the QuickOSM plugin to get the buildings, streets, parks & river shapes from OpenStreetMap, then I exported everything in SVG via the Print Layout Manager. I opened the SVG in Inkscape and did some clean up (QGIS always exports multiple empty groups for some reason, and this annoys me cos I like to keep my layers & objects tidy). After that it was just a matter of making it pretty in Inkscape, which is a whole other topic! If you're familiar with QGIS you should be able to gather the basic data pretty easily. You don't have to use Inkscape either since you can export in various other formats to use in any image editor/paint program. You should give it a bash with something fairly simple to see how it goes. I really enjoy messing around with real world places just to experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by MikesMaps View Post
That's a fine map, and one I could see being on tourist info display boards on the street there. Are you posting it locally to see what reaction it gets? I'll have a look at OpenStreetMap as sounds like an interesting tool for real places.
Thanks, I'm happy you like it! I've only shared it here & on Mastodon, not sure where Perth people hang out online! Definitely check out OSM if you're doing somewhere real world. It saves so much time!