Thread: [Region 1][Map 25][Location 4] - Port Magalie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    To be honest, I'm not especially familiar with the way medieval cities operated; would I want to stop shipping from passing through here completely by making narrow-spaced archways that would only allow smaller boats?
    It depends on what's up-river. If the cities further inland are in competition, then forcing oceangoing vessels to offload here and reload their goods onto river ships means the city rulers can get a bigger cut of the profits--they get to tax two boats instead of just one, can force more of the goods into their own economy, etc. On the other hand, that'll make the city a bigger target. Everyone will want to control it, so they'll have to put a significant part of that extra money toward defense.

Also, if it becomes too much a problem to bring goods through this river, it's a good bet that they'll go somewhere else. Like water, trade follows the path of least resistance, and sometimes building a new coastal city at the head of a land route is easier and cheaper than dealing with a draconian local government.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Go with wide arches then, there would be a port authority/customs house here anyways and that navy too.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I had a few minutes since I'm off work today. I think this one is just about ready to add to the wiki.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seriously gorgeous, ig! I especially like the way you incorporated the scale bar into the title, though I'm not sure of its general effectiveness. It took me a few moments to interpret what you were doing. It may be, though, that I was really slow on the uptake.

Whether it's effective or not, though, I like it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name