Thread: Maps I was unhappy with

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by HellHound View Post
    These next two I'm officially "unhappy" with.

Anyways, here is the Elven Fortress of Guenevae (in two parts - the first part has the side-view describing where the other maps fit together. I'm particuarly pained by how crappy the side-view is).
    One comment, not on your mapping, but on the envisioning.

I have built a few treehouses, and having a solid structure (like the second fortress) spanning branches (or larger trunks) doesn't work really well. The wind in the tree will tend to tear these types of fixed structures apart, as the small forces of wind at the branch tips get hugely magnified into small but super powerful force near the trunk. I've had 1/2 galvanized carriage bolts sheared right off trying to solidly connect two large upward reaching branches.

If you REALLY want, google up "treehouse" and you will find a ton of references (or ask question and I might be able to answer

IN my ming, I think a workable tree fortress would be inside hollowed out (and large) tree trunks, with lots of other independent platforms, connected by webbings or nets. Possibly something like a banyan tree.

Along this line, some of you might like this:
    http://www.freespiritspheres.com/

-Rob A>
    Last edited by RobA; 08-29-2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Another though...

There was a show on just recently that had a guy that is a professional tree house builder. He built a tree house that spanned two trees and had a floating floor to allow the trees to move independently. Very cool. During the show they had some incredible tree houses. One of them was a three story house that was about 2500 square feet if I remember correctly and it was fully furnished to boot!

Now in a fantasy setting with magic at hand, I don't think there would be any problems with building a huge tree house castle especially if you could simply ask the tree to help.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.