Thread: New Member Intro

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yeah, I suspect it will... but I think my "map as a functional device" and a distaste for "photo-realistic type" digital artwork may end up making me an enemy of RobA... just went through his extended "4,000,000 layers of map-making" tutorial. Nice and clear... results = waaaaaaay up the other end of the style spectrum from me... *shrug*.

For those of you who know some tricks to really get that "ink & watercolours" kind of artwork, I'm more than curious... hopefully it doesn't require weeks of hand drawing...

Post Different strokes

Not everybody makes "artistic" maps here - there's more than one way to skin a cat. And artistic, but simpler coloration is common as well. Most don't do any hand-drawing at all, only a relatively small percentage of us in that regard.

You need to tell us specifically the kind of map style you want to develop and we'll guide you in that direction.

All my maps are created in Xara Xtreme Pro, which is primarily a vector based drawing program, I use special filters as fill color to emulate the water-color look in my maps. I used to use Painter, but am unsure how to replicate that water color feel in GIMP, unfortunately, other than to "paint it that way."

Besides, RobA is nice guy, it's difficult to make "an enemy out of him!"

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations