Thread: Kingdom Map beginning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ok so whent ahead and did some more work. The big thing is now I need to decide on a city marking style. I narrowed it down to 3 choices, and now I need your imput onto which one to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

To be brutally honest, I think you should go with simple dots. The ones in the first almost get lost and are repetitive, shields look great but are usually used for nations/kingdoms rather than to denote cities and towns, and the ones in the third look overdone (the blue ones look like water wells). I can understand the desire to want something really cool, I am guilty myself from time to time, but sometimes simple is good. This is just my opinion. Of these three, I would do something a lil different (simpler but still 3d-like) with the third and go that way but not sure exactly what I would do...maybe just a beveled dot with a beveled ring, shrug. Keep the shields for kingdoms, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ok, I'll give that a try. The shield idea came from the way the kingdom is broken up. It follows a somewhat fudal system with the Emporer doling out lands to "Princes" and down the line (I.E. the shields would be the prince's crest. Excluding the sun being for the emporer.) Any who, Know any good tuts for doing scales?

Reptile scales, weighing scales, musical scales, or distance scales?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

LOL sorry mapping scales

No real tut for that. I make a white rectangle of a certain size, say 10 x 50 and estimate how this shape represents distance (feet, yards, miles, etc) on the map...say 50 pixels equals 50 feet. Then I make a black rectangle the same size and put it right next to the white one. Lather, rinse, and repeat until happy. Then stick some numbers above or below it.

AH ok I was going to use swords and dagers to try to emulate distance, but after the post about cities I think I'll go simple with this as well. Auto realm has a few of them in one of its libraries so I placed two togather and made a jpeg then import and resize.