Thread: Zion Canyon Commission map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think this came out quite nicely GP.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Praise

your colors look really good. this post got me looking around that area.
    i found some imagery that so closely matches your hues. (just darker)
    nice work. i like the fonts, and the skull cardinal.
    Zion_Canyon_4.png
    Last edited by hubbardmapworks; 01-08-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Post Fonts used...

Thanks, Hub - oh and post some larger Arc GIS/GIMP maps - I want to throw some Rep at you!

Incidentally, the fonts used: Zion Canyon uses a font called Willow, which is essentially the title font used for the movie, Willow. Found the font at my favorite: http://www.acidfonts.com - free fonts are alphabetized at the top of the page, bottom fonts are paid-for fonts. I use the free fonts, there.

The other font, I think came with Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0, which is called Bandicoot - a classic looking font, better than Helevitica or Century Schoolbook, but the same style, though more square, I think.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

you know, i have this other nice map (demographic map for client) that i had to use gimp alot on to finish off, but i cant get a low enough file size to post here. they fall apart when lowering dpi. (i will keep trying though)
    this seems to big my biggest challenge in sharing my work online, or even getting images that even closely look as good as the map itself when printed on my printer with nice paper.
    i would have posted many maps on this forum already if it werent for this predicament.
    the minute detail and amount of data in the maps slows the post-editing process so much, i crash adobe like nothing else when i reach a 80 MB file or bigger. and my 300 MB arcscene stuff? forget about it...
    i find gimp handles them better for digital printing, and still using adobe or just my printer interface for hardcopy.
    can i post just a picture of me holding my finished maps?? and still get some rep?
    Last edited by hubbardmapworks; 01-08-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You could always just crop out some small enough section - generally anything 4000 x 4000 or smaller, in terms of pixels, and anything under 4.7 megs as a jpg.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

ok, cool. will look for some pieces that might look good.
    my maps are all pretty big, but i will start posting snippets.

Wip Zion Canyon Narrows map

Next map in this commission set is called the Narrows, which is the narrow (30' wide) canyon at the very top end of Zion Canyon (so this map is turned 90 degrees clockwise from north.)

Still more line work to do, I need to add plants and more rocky terrain. The heavy emphasis on the bevels is to try and depict steep cliffsides. There is a walking trail on the lower face of the cliffside to the top of map. There are "switchbacks" where the trail descends one way, then turns and descends the other way, for a dangerous half climb, half walk down towards the river bottom.

Part way down the switchback trail there's 3 rocks and a "shelf" with no exit down just beneath it. There will be a gun fight here between the PC party and three bandit/rustlers - its the first gun fight in this adventure, so this is an important encounter map for this "Buckshot" as Dog House Rules calls their Sidewinder adventures.

Lots more to do. I think of the seven maps needed for the adventure, this is the hardest one to do (for me at least). I have a slot canyon, ledge path to a hidden canyon, and cave map to do - which should all be easy enough, though the latter two have quite a bit of campsite detail necessary.

I should finish this tomorrow. Then I'll hit the slot canyon map next.

WIP so far... enjoy!

GP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations