Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2017 Challenge: The Story of Golthra and Iriana

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

That's bad news... I'm sorry for you that it didn't work (especially as it seems to me that you were more or less glad to have that job... )
    And now training program...
    Maybe the silver lining of this is that you'll crave for more maps more than ever ? I know that when it's difficult at work, I intend to have lots and lots of ideas for maps..

For the roofs, the solution might be to enlarge your layer at 800 % ? If I understood your solution, it might give you larger spots ?

Anyway, I wish you a lot of courage and all the best that goes with it !!!

You're a gem, Jo, and thanks for the sympathy

I was glad to have the job, and the people are... were terrific.

The worker I was replacing came back to work, though, and I was told that the future plans had changed and that they no longer required me. That was very sweet of them, since I was really rubbish at working out where to go and what to do with 4 major overlapping databases to choose from... I also fell out BIG TIME with the air con. I had flu like symptoms most of the time I was there, and I'm still recovering now. I was off sick a couple of times and reported the fluffy black bits raining down on my desk from above. My line manager said she would get an investigation done into the problem, but I wasn't there long enough to see it happen.

That's a great idea with enlarging the pattern again, and in fact I will try it today. I think I will have to be careful the grid-like orientation of the greatly enlarged pixels doesn't become too apparent
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-22-2017 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling blooper!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

So I wish you all the best for your health too !

Anyway, your maps and illustrations are so beautiful, that's it's hard to believe you are out of resources ! The Mouse is strong !!!!

Aw thanks, Joel

If only there was a way to use the only thing I'm really any good at in an office!

EDIT: At the risk of getting a bit too political, I should probably point out that being self employed is not an option here in the UK. Not unless you can guarantee a liveable income from the outset, or have at least a few tens of thousands of pounds in savings to tide you over till you get there.

I'd love to be a pro writer and artist, but I'm not rich enough to be able to achieve my full creative potential, and I really don't understand how people who manage to get there while holding down a conventional job manage to do it. Maybe its because I have autism, but I just can't seem to switch between the dullness of the day job and the magic of creativity all that fast to fit both things in the same day. My brain just does this "You want me to WHAT?" thing when I get home, and I have to crash out. Passing for normal in an office just takes it out of me in a really big way.
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-22-2017 at 08:04 AM.

I like where this is going. You really have an unmistakably distinct style
    I am curious to see how you will organize the text, because at the moment it is very small and hard to read. But you said, you would take care of that in the end, so that is not really a point of critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    If only there was a way to use the only thing I'm really any good at in an office!

EDIT: At the risk of getting a bit too political, I should probably point out that being self employed is not an option here in the UK. Not unless you can guarantee a liveable income from the outset, or have at least a few tens of thousands of pounds in savings to tide you over till you get there.

I'd love to be a pro writer and artist, but I'm not rich enough to be able to achieve my full creative potential, and I really don't understand how people who manage to get there while holding down a conventional job manage to do it. Maybe its because I have autism, but I just can't seem to switch between the dullness of the day job and the magic of creativity all that fast to fit both things in the same day. My brain just does this "You want me to WHAT?" thing when I get home, and I have to crash out. Passing for normal in an office just takes it out of me in a really big way.
    Who knows, there might be opportunities to do just that in an office, although they are rare, admittedly.
    I think most artists run into creativity issues, more often than you'd think, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Although I can't really judge your personal situation, I can totally relate to that. I guess the weekends will have to be reserved for magic mapping time then
    Cartography by Matthias Rothenaicher. Portfolio: Website | DeviantArt

Thank you, Matthias (I love that name!)

That's a good point about the text. I hadn't really noticed it before because this is a 1/3 reduction on the working size of the map, but now you mention it I will have a look and see what I can do. It seems to me that where the text is white with a dark glow around it the letters aren't quite as easy to read as they are where the letters are black on a pale background, like "Midnight Fortress". The font is maybe a little too florid for the job, so I might have to swap it out for something else.

I've been around for 33 years as an employable adult, and since I started with qualifications that would make me more of a lab technician with dreams of becoming a lab scientist, I've never seen a graphics job I was suitably qualified to apply for (and we all know what employers think of people who persist in applying for a job they aren't qualified to do - the application form is usually filed under B for bin).

But you are right. I have the weekends, and I have the Guild
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-22-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Mouse, you are becoming ridiculously good at that sort of fisheye, top down to horizon, perspective, sort of map. Soon you'll be walking around like Diamond, festooned with Golden Compasses.

(Also I'm sorry to hear about you job, obviously I've not been paying attention the the threads here as much as I should've.)

Aw, thank you Falconius

I think the rest of us will probably be vying for second place behind Diamond this time around

(and don't worry! Its difficult keeping up with everything when there's just so much to see around this place. I'm probably guilty of failing to notice a whole bunch of stuff just lately)

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Passing for normal in an office just takes it out of me in a really big way.
    In regards to the quote above, I'm going to tell you the same thing I told my son when he said something similar.... if passing for 'normal' takes so much out of you, then don't try. Being autistic doesn't make you any less capable, than anyone else out there, and in some cases, you are even more capable because of the autism. That's one thing I'm learning from my youngest that we've talked about. And as for those 'quirks' that come with being autistic, you can't help those anymore than I can help talking too much! lol People should accept all of who you are.

I'm sorry about the job situation, but you have done much better than most would. You have tried to make the best with what you have been dealt, many in your shoes would have given up. Oops, I'm preaching again, aren't I? Let's get back to your map, shall we

The colors are fantastic, I love the perspective, and the way that perspective changes, I really like the artistry of it, and I KNOW that it will give everyone a run for their money, and you will get it done in time, just like you always do
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Guild Artisan

Beautiful map. Love the Sprawling mountains that reach out for you. Very Nice.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast