Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kyuden Suzume

Larb I like the progression, its looking good so far. I do have a water comment tho. I see we had a lake/pond with the castle / walled manor in the upper left to start. No water in progress set. I think you need a well or small stream / lake for the village water source. Not trying to be the river police here LOL, just something that caught my eye.

I have finished it now. I have an additional sparrow village to update to go along with it which I'll do next. It's much smaller. =P

I added the wells too. I forgot about those. The Sparrow lands are not very fertile and life can be a bit of a struggle. The clan was basically given lands no one else wanted (or more accurately, didn't care to lose).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I find this map very quaint. I'd just have the labels in a font more matching the map (something that looks hand-written perhaps), but that's just me.

A question about the two maps on the opening post: Is the second map intended to be a "future" version of the first? Is certainly has that appearance.

It's not set in the future, it's just a better version of the first map. The first map is pretty old and I had a less logical grasp of street layouts and such. In the updated version, I decided to rectify the odd housing clusters while increasing the number of buildings (it is the Sparrow Clan's primary holding).

One of the reasons I like updating old maps every so often is to a) refine styles and try new things, and b) helps me see the kind of progress I am making.

This is a companion map to the above and another update. The original of this one was on paper. I have done another one as well but there isn't really anything special about it.

I have incorporated a few more handdrawn elements on this one (the boats) rather than making them with shapes and layer styles like the buildings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ooo, river. Your conservative approach with the trees is pretty ingenious. I wouldn't have thought of doing it that way. The boats are very cute, by the way.

Great maps Larb! It's always nice to see updated versions of your old creations.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Very nice! I will look into your tutorial soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12