Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sorantis (personal project)

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

I really like it Voolf! It's so easy to get bogged down in playing around with a map that you're never satisfied (and in my case, the map never get finished ). Your linework as always is top-notch, the ocean is just fantastic and so are the illustrations. I think the colours are fine, but personally I think slightly heavier shadows would have worked better. It might have alleviated there seemingly being too many lines around the mountains (I don't think there are btw).

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The map IS amazing but it worked better in black and white to my eye.

If I may give a piece of advice about colors. I recently started working with filled layers for the colors of my map, working on a black mask to make the color appear where I want it and with the flow I want. When I'm not satisfied by the color, I just have to change it by double clicking on the layer and the blending modes get me where I want to go. It's way less frustrating and way more efficient. My two cents.
    Thant's any interesting technique Thomas, which I might just have a play with at some point.

Thank you Francesca and Thomas.

Thomas, thanks for advice, i use simillar method but without masks. unfortunately picking the right colour and making new style are completaly different things :/

Btw. Thank you all for the reps. I am glad you like the map

Edit: ninja'd by Greg. Thank you Greg !
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

First, it's looking very good.
    Second, I think you're really close to an awesome style and I hope you'll keep trying in this direction.

I was looking at this map again (and it's well worth at least a second look) and I was wondering if you had the shading on a separate layer from the rest of the artwork. If so, reducing the opacity might mute it just enough to bring it back in harmony with the rest. You might also be able to do a selective muting (draw a mask just along the spines of the main spines of the mountains, blur it somewhat, and then use blurred image as a layer mask) to reduce the shading a bit.

The detail level on those mountains really does look good when contrasted against the more empty areas. It's only when the whole central area grabbed more than about of a quarter of my field of vision that I found it became too much.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

A nice change from your usual perspective. I have to try that out sometime as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    First, it's looking very good.
    Second, I think you're really close to an awesome style and I hope you'll keep trying in this direction.
    Thank you, i will definately be doing more maps like that. I will see where thi will lead me.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I was looking at this map again (and it's well worth at least a second look) and I was wondering if you had the shading on a separate layer from the rest of the artwork. If so, reducing the opacity might mute it just enough to bring it back in harmony with the rest. You might also be able to do a selective muting (draw a mask just along the spines of the main spines of the mountains, blur it somewhat, and then use blurred image as a layer mask) to reduce the shading a bit.

The detail level on those mountains really does look good when contrasted against the more empty areas. It's only when the whole central area grabbed more than about of a quarter of my field of vision that I found it became too much.
    Thank you waldronate. I see you point i will will keep that in mind for future maps. I don't feel like touching this one anymore. At least not now

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    A nice change from your usual perspective. I have to try that out sometime as well.
    Thanks
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

This is great Voolf! I love the mountain ranges and volcanoes! You lineowkr and coloring is spot on as always. The only things I could say is that I'd add a coastline, however thin and subtle. (At this resolution) The coastline looks a little pixelated.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Great looking top down mountains! I love the way you've drawn them. Nice style! And the rest of the map is gorgeous too!

I really like your shorelines and the way the coast fades into the water. I've been struggling to get that part to look realistic in my own maps and like this style. Good Job

I instantly liked your mountains. I think they look excellent and much like a hand-done hillshade might look.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast