Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kaherm (an attempt to revitalize old map)

Guild Expert

I think this is looking great Voolf! I really like the mountains so far, they look good as they are but another pass, or two, like you said is gonna make them pop even more, can't wait to see it.

Are you going to be keeping the rivers black? Because I find they are looking a little harsh against the other colours. And sorry to nit pick, but there are two building at the top right hand side of the map, one looks like a tower, and the other a rectangular shaped building, and to me they look oddly placed, almost like there a bit crooked or something. The buildings themselves look good, they just look like they need to be rotated a bit maybe, I don't know there's just something wonky about them.

All in all, I'm really loving this map, and am excited to see it progress... Nice job so far.

"Something wrong..." : pssssh. You have ten kinds of awesome going here.

Oh, I see what's bothering you - it's the water color overlapping the pier on that lake. :-). Really, the shading is looking good. I would be inclined to disbelieve the river splitting to both sides of that narrow neck of peninsula, but you almost make it plausible again by the termination being a marsh. You could 'sell' the swampy-delta there better if the strong dark river lines trailed off into thin, in distinct wiggles - maybe more of them.

Ok, i think i am gonna proceed with mountains then...

I won't keep my rivers black, sorry i do my painting in different stages everytime, it is more like trying things than advance in a normal way.
    Completaly done here is just linework, everything esle still needs work. I just threw in a texture as background and coloured sea and trees. I still have to colour mountains, ground and buildings. As for the rivers, i am gonna colour whole of them (without border) or will leave thin back border and colour just inside. After that shade everything and as last step add some additional colours i guess.

I started shading before everything else so i can share with you guys and ask for advice.

As for the buildings, i am not entirely sure, which one you refer to. These?

bui.jpeg

I drew every building by hand without any isometric line guides, some of them are better some worse, they are not in the same perspective which kinda mess up the map - i know that. Buildings are the last thing i intend to do, so there is time to change them and reposition if needed.

Edit: Thanks jbgibson, i guess i don't have much self confidence :/. As for the splitting river. Again, i am trying to keep this map as close to original as possible. I dont want to change much (i didn't make the original map). Though... i may try to do what you have suggested.
    Last edited by Voolf; 10-29-2016 at 03:45 AM.

Guild Expert

The one on the left is the one that really stood out to me.

I see, is it the perspective, or place where it stands? Or both maybe ?

Guild Expert

I think it's more of a perspective thing, and don't get me wrong the building itself is awesome.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Looks great. Like the town/tower/etc design.

Excellent! I like the subtle shading you have and the mountains do look good (the ranges on the SW look almost top-down compared to the rest, is it what you wanted?). Some elements are awesome like the giant statue, the dunes or the crossed peaks in the NW. The buildings are looking good, but some of them have a "Pisa effect" in my eye .
    Again, very nice work on this!

Looks great voolf. Your mountain shading is really well done. Waiting to see the next step of this beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey
    I think it's more of a perspective thing, and don't get me wrong the building itself is awesome.
    Yes, i was afraid of that. I'll see what i can do about it, but i leave it (the towns) for now. I'll try to fix it when the terrain is done.

Quote Originally Posted by JCW
    Looks great. Like the town/tower/etc design.
    Thanks, those took me a while, though i probably need to correct some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar
    Excellent! I like the subtle shading you have and the mountains do look good (the ranges on the SW look almost top-down compared to the rest, is it what you wanted?). Some elements are awesome like the giant statue, the dunes or the crossed peaks in the NW. The buildings are looking good, but some of them have a "Pisa effect" in my eye .
    Again, very nice work on this!
    The mountains in south island are small and not too steep. Ii was not my intention to make it looks top-down. All strokes on the right from peaks are going down in the same direction (same left side), i would do it differently for top-down view. Can i ask what gives you the impression? Also what is "Pisa effect"?
    Thank you for feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlin
    Looks great voolf. Your mountain shading is really well done. Waiting to see the next step of this beauty.
    Had a break recently, but i will get back to it soon enough. Thanks.
    Last edited by Voolf; 10-31-2016 at 02:08 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast