Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Imrith

Cool concept and excellent sketches. I'm already picturing the city in my head somehow . I'm really looking forward for the next steps.

Well, I managed to make some progress.

I must confess, I am supposed to be doing the light challenge, I was doing the tunnels beneath Imrith, and then remembered this, and I got a bit distracted with it!

Anyway, I still have a very long way to go. I've learnt a lot about layering in the process, and I think the next map will surely benefit from the huge learning curve I've had doing this.

The buildings are just sketched out. I've spent most of my time on the coastline, though I'm a bit worried that the sea and the cliffs look too alike on closer inspection. It's the first time I've tried to do away with solid lines to separate land and coast, I'm not really sure how successful it is so far.

Anyway, all comments welcome.

For anyone interested, some background story
    The once great City of Imrith has not been united for over 300 years, since the Bendinarian war left the city ravaged. The kings bridge was destroyed, and Imrith was shattered in two, leaving the East almost completely abandoned. The King, without heir, was taken hostage, and eventually executed in Bendinar. All that remained after the war was the localized control of the Barons, constantly maneuvering for control, but ultimately in stalemate. For generations, the massively reduced population of Imrith lived under the tyranny of the Barons, who divided the population with bricks and mortar "for their safety". But now civil war is brewing, the population is growing faster than the Barons can wall them in. Just 30 years ago a huge part of the population was purged in a great fire outside of the districts, the fishing district was destroyed, and whispers spread of conspiracy by the Barons. If the Barons can be overthrown, and their walls torn down, perhaps the people can find prosperity again...

IMRITH.jpg

Guild Journeyer

Damn those beaches are a great touch to this map. Well done. I really like this one. Are you planning to color those rams?

Thanks Ilgoth, I'm not sure, I was thinking they should be some sort of emblem for the city, they kind of capture the shape of the city (A bit cliche?), It seemed suitable at the time. Two rams, one representing East and one representing West. They do need some difference between them I think, initially i was intending to have them look like they were carved from stone, but looking at the thumbnail they are far too distracting at the moment, so yes, I will intend to colour them, but I'm not sure how yet!!

I'm really liking where this is going. The forests and water both look really good. I agree that the rams would look better colored. In general, I find that parchment style hand drawn elements don't often work well with more photorealistic elements. It's generally best to pick one style or another and stick with it. For the rams, coloring them to match real life examples of rams seems a good choice (e.g. something like this). But really great job so far.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Man, I totally missed this update.
    I like how this has turned out. Really nice work.

Totally missed this map.. looks awesome!!!
    And a totally epic city design! I love it!! I need to think of some awesome city designs like this..
    Once again I am wishing I knew the techniques for a map like this.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Love the layout of the area, the forest look great, seem like your getting this style down really well, nice job.

This one is a bit of an on and off project at the moment, It's a good one to try out some new techniques. I've totally messed up the cliffs, and I made some rookie errors with erasing from layers rather than using layer masks. I need to find a way of getting these buildings down though, they look rubbish at the moment. I was trying out the emboss tool in Photoshop to speed it up but it doesn't seem to do the job really. I could try to draw them all individually, but I'm running out of resolution to put too much detail on them.

It remains an ongoing experiment, Any tips or good reference material always wanted!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast