Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first serious, non-tutorial map

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

So I really like the shadows you've put on your stairs... did you draw those by hand or use some genius technique to create them? And thank you for sharing this, it's a great battlemap!

cheers,
    Meshon

Guild Apprentice

I drew them myself. This is how I did it

1. I made the shadows on the upper and lower floors
    2. I made a grid the width of each step, with a height of (pixels between upper and lower shadows) / (number of steps)
    3. I used the path tool with polygonal and snap to grid enabled to save a path of what I wanted removed/added
    4. I used the path flipped or rotated to cut or add shadows to the steps

Here is a screen grab of the steps with the grid on and the path selected:

stairs.PNG

This one I used to cut the lower shadow off the stairs, I then flipped it, offset it slightly and filled it with the black of the shadows.

I did the same thing on the vertical stairs, but I also added a 2nd path for the individual steps

smallstep.PNG

I am also part way through writing a script that adds the shadows using motion blur instead of using "drop shadows" its not quite ready yet though as I cant get it to blur correctly.

Standard drop shadow is on the left, my script creates the shadow on the right(with options for distance, opacity, blur etc).

shadow-compare.PNG

I don't see anything you should change, but I'm relatively new to this; MCC might catch something that I didn't think of.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12