Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP: Ostrom (commission for Leopardi)

I join the choir on the painterly effect, it really gives a satellite like impression of height.

Thanks everyone

The style I'm going for is not so much satellite, but more of a painted look. Like this example by Viking: Arinthia.

Here's an update showing what I mean. I'm hoping I can do all of the mountains without it taking too long. Otherwise I might just revert to a satellite style :/

THW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camulus 04.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	89051  

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

I was about to say that it looks very much like Arinthia by Viking. Good job, Arinthia is one of my all time favorites. I, too, am a big fan of the water gradient.
    I guess the icons are still placeholders? If not, I recommend changing them.

OK, I've had a bit of time to work on this today, and so here's the latest progress.

The mountains are just slightly defined at this stage: they'll be given a more refined look in the end (although not necessarily as refined as in the little island on the eastern side--that depends on time commitments ). Also, one of those mountain ranges (the one on the SW of the biggest landmass) is a bit weird right now. I think I'll redo it pretty soon.

I've also lightly brushed in the ground for the main landmass. That is also going to be more carefully dealt with as I move forward. I still have to figure out how I'm going to draw hills and cliffs, but I guess I'll worry about that after the mountains are a bit more complete.

Overall, I feel like the progress made today is pretty good. What do y'all think? Comments and critiques are always encouraged

@Llannagh: thanks. Any comparison to Viking's work is a fine compliment to receive. Yeah, those icons are placeholders. I'm not yet sure how I'm going to do the icons in the end. I quite like a rough hand-drawn look, but we'll see.

THW

Name:	Camulus 05.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	89706  
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 11-25-2016 at 10:24 AM.

Another update.

I've worked on more of the mountains, as well as adding some initial labels and adjusted the large island on the eastern side (Ventris) as per the client's request.

I've also begun adding cliffs and landscape features to Ventris, along the lines of Viking's Arinthia and Skenth maps: how do you guys think it's working?

THW

Name:	Camulus 06.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	89822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ventris close-up.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	89823  

I really like the island, even though I would like to see it larger to really appreciate the map.

The colouring is beautiful, and what I can see of the mountain detail looks great

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I really like the island, even though I would like to see it larger to really appreciate the map.

The colouring is beautiful, and what I can see of the mountain detail looks great
    To top that up, you could consider placing the mountain labeling a little off the centre to keep it from hiding too much of your work. You probably spent a lot of time doing those gorgeoys mountains, so why cover all that immediately after?
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 12-01-2016 at 08:05 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

These mountains remind me of an amazonian viper's scaling. Fantastic !

Here's another update. I've been working on the mountain ranges, and, following a suggestion from the client, have made some small adjustments to the mountain arrangement to make them a bit more diverse and interesting. The style of the mountains eventually will be more like the original ones I did (like on the eastern island of Ventris), but they look like this for the moment.

The first picture shows the original layout and the second picture shows the new layout.

There's a lot of work still to go, but I'm glad the mountains are starting to take form.

PS: could a passing CL kindly change "Camulus" to "Ostrom" in the thread title? It seems I got the name wrong when I was starting

THW

Name:	Camulus 08A.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	895.6 KB 
ID:	93727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camulus 08B.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	924.7 KB 
ID:	93728  
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 03-14-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Title updated.

Loving the look of this so far. The colours are glorious.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast