Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The markgravate of Greifshold - first attempt at a campaign map

Onwards we go with my attempts at making fantasy maps and perspective drawings for my campaign.

First off the shaded version of the line art presented earlier. I made a number of mistakes with this first attempt at perspective drawing. I will give you a brief summary, so that you cn avoid them should you also attempt something like this to accompany a map in the future:

1. I got the elliptical perspective wrong and thus the lake surface and shore doesn't look proper in the foreground.

2. I had not really a vanishing point in mind (at least consciously) when I drew the lake, so I think it is off in places and the picture looks a bit flat in places.

3. The reflections look wrong. I would presume they would need to point towards the beholder, but I am not entirely sure how they are influenced by the point of view.

4. Overall the shading, line weight and composition feels visually pleasing to me, but some more texture, light and shadow play etc. o the left may help to differentiate elements and make them more visibel.

Anyhow, if you have further ideas how and what to improve I am all ears.

In reaction to my first attempt I made a more considered second sketch, to be further refined. Tis time I chose a two-point perspective and did it properly. I had some issues with the double arched window. The column in the middle may look better as an actual support, so I may move it back and break it in twain.

The tree comes alogn nicely and I think I'll attempt to add a three dimensional feel via the bark texture and an application of the elliptical perspective. The scene composition is also more considered following the rule of thirds. For instance the ship is placed on an intersecting line and the tree and ruins follow the bottom and left row. Here, too, feedback is welcome.

Finally a WIP mock up of the guide to Greifshold that players (or GM's) would use. I made a version with modern layout, but couldn't resist to play around with some paper textures I recently made. The black and white style may also lent itself more to a printer friendly version. Illuminated, line-art letters may be something to look into, and maybe some more "gilded" details such as the little crown in the bottom.

These are pretty great, nice job so far. I hope your players appreciate it, I know I would.

For technical comments on the first picture: There are two more things to consider when doing perspective, detail and tone. Things will lose detail as they get farther away (for instance those mountains appear too detailed and look closer than the trees they sit above). And things have more tone information in them as they get closer (I think, I'm not really sure the reason actually), but will be darker the closer they are. If you enjoy drawing, Alphonso Dunn has many really great explanations and tutorials on youtube.
    Last edited by Falconius; 05-18-2017 at 03:24 AM.

Thank you Falconius for the advise. I think you are right that I overdid it with the saturation and detailing in the back. With the next piece I'll keep it a bit more vague in the background. I think I may also use different sized ink pens to represent this fading to the back. Potentially Photoshop may also help with opacity settings.

Alphonso Dunn was the one that inspired me to try perspective drawing in the first place. I hope to incorporate more of his tips in the new version. Always harder to actually do stuff than watch it . I also like Draw with Jazza. He has some excellent videos on perspectives. This is definitely becoming a new part of my miniature painting hobby.

Thanks again for the feedback .

Default Texas COYEE

I really love the map work, a style I would like to learn myself.

Thank you Lordirish, glad you like it.

A quick update: I colorised the illustration presented above, showing a point of interest in my campaign setting: Herleva's Tears. The drawing style of the lady is inspired by the Codex Manese. I may add a frame around her or maybe to the location map in general, but I still have to see what works best.

Comments and suggestions as always welcome. I am much happier this time with the desaturated colour palette and it was fun to attempt to replicate a historical style with the lady.
    Last edited by DaggerAndBrush; 06-14-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Wow, you got some serious map drawing skills. Keep up the good work.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Thank you XCali, much obliged. I want to further the medieval take on character portraits and monsters. Later styles have a bit more shading and more variety in facial depictions. Should be cool to experiment a bit with this.

Ahoi,

I am quite productive these days and colorised the perspective drawing, too. I think it worked out well and I will use elements of it.

The project goes on and I finally got around redrawing the regional map of the margravate. Based on what I learned doing the Herleva's tears drawing I kept a semi-isometric perspective, added a frame and some fantastical beasts. Obviously this is only a pencil sketch so far and I will add more details. When I am satisfied I will proceed with inking and colourising the map.

Given the scale I intend to have close-ups (like the Tear's) when I write about specific locales in my guide to the margravate.

I think I need to alter the face of the lady to match the style of the Codex Manesse more. She looks a bit too friendly .

C&C always welcome.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Wow ! Real nice, the dragon !!!! Can't wait to see it colored !!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast