Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mar / April '18 Lite Challenge: Castle Caenwyr

It's been a few days but it's update time!

### Latest WIP ###
    castle5.png

I've done a bit more to the buildings but I started working on the grass and water. The grass I think I've done a good job of adding some texture to with highlights and shade from a sponge brush. Where I've been having a problem is with the water. I can't seem to get anything I like. I want to water to have a bit of depth to it on the main river but also look less flat and one tone in general. If anyone has any advise or suggestions that would really help!

Here's a close up of what I have so far.

sample5.png

I would try widening the darker blue in the middle a little bit.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that castle is "GQ?"

Seriously though, I think Mr. B called it. You could also try more contrast in the shades of blue or possibly a highlight shade at the bank. Also you could maybe try showing flow. Again probably accomplished with a few highlights.

Other than that, things are looking good.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Finally an update. Yes I ignored the bits I was stuck on by working on other stuff instead.

### Latest WIP ###
    castle8.png

Nice to see you making some progress!

Sometimes its the only way to move forward

Have you thought about varying the alignment of the buildings a bit? They all seem to be arranged in a very strict vertical/horizontal fashion so far.

Guild Novice northerncartography's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    It's been a few days but it's update time!

### Latest WIP ###
    castle5.png

I've done a bit more to the buildings but I started working on the grass and water. The grass I think I've done a good job of adding some texture to with highlights and shade from a sponge brush. Where I've been having a problem is with the water. I can't seem to get anything I like. I want to water to have a bit of depth to it on the main river but also look less flat and one tone in general. If anyone has any advise or suggestions that would really help!

Here's a close up of what I have so far.

sample5.png
    Hey QED, you could try using the "Dunes" brush that comes default with GIMP, and splash whites/blacks in varying opacities into an overlay layer that sits atop the blue river? The Dune brush looks like ripples of water to me, and I use it frequently for texture on my water.
    “A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams.”
    - Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Support me here, if you'd like: https://www.patreon.com/northerncartography

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Nice to see you making some progress!
    Thanks Bogie, trying to fight that procrastination beast!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Sometimes its the only way to move forward

Have you thought about varying the alignment of the buildings a bit? They all seem to be arranged in a very strict vertical/horizontal fashion so far.
    Believe me Mouse redo-ing the houses is on my to do list. The reason I've only done that section in the top corner is they are another but I wasn't convinced with so far!

Quote Originally Posted by northerncartography View Post
    Hey QED, you could try using the "Dunes" brush that comes default with GIMP, and splash whites/blacks in varying opacities into an overlay layer that sits atop the blue river? The Dune brush looks like ripples of water to me, and I use it frequently for texture on my water.
    Thanks for the pointer northercartopgrahy, I've ended up going with a different direction but I'll keep that in mind to try on another map.

As I hope you can see I've changed things up slightly since the last update!

### Latest WIP ###
    castle10.png

I think this is a nice bit of detail but might end up not showing up on the final map depending on the resolution.

castle10a.png

Nicer touch on the water. Not sure if it would help or not but maybe a little darker shade of blue to "highlight" the deeper areas? Water is always a pain for me if I am not working it as a height field, so I don't have much other advice to offer. Other than that this seems to be coming along nice enough. Keep up the good work.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Great design ! Maybe add a little variation to the roofs with a grunge brush ? Or maybe you already planned on doing it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast