View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

Blog Entries

There - didnt feel a thing !
    (Index is now stickied too).
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-07-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Population:....Mixed humanoid, app. 25,000
    More like population:.... Mixed humanoid, undetermined amount. Or just Population: undetermined. It's a mistake to try and control too many variables in these projects. I know it's tempting, but it leads nowhere. Aiming for various accuracies is fine up until it becomes boring. And for some people that occurs sooner than others. Which is why it is generally a better idea to leave the project loose and allow people more reign in what happens in their area.

For instance if the population was really 25,000 and there are more than 27 neighborhoods, each would contain less than a thousand people. Say four to a family that is 231 living spaces, which in a modern setting could be in one single building. In ancient terms it's an entire city, but ancient cities are also physically tiny, ie the ruins of Jericho could entirely fit within area #1 of that map.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Trumpet fanfares... big brass bands... cheering crowds... confetti raining down from the sky...

I love this city already!

Thanks for giving us our very own space Redrobes.
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-07-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Excellent
    Thanks Red

edit - still finalizing some roads and such

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Sorry I didn't understood the scale of the whole city...
    is it complicated to go back to your 1st version ?
    No.

Looking at where we are on the Guild map we seem to be just a little south of the equator, so don't hold out your hopes for massive forests to work with (thomrey will be relieved about that I expect), because the tropics are prime sites for deserts - especially inland.
    There is apparently a forest along the eastern wall, number 21 and 22.

That forest area was just a suggestion when i sketched it - not a hard rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    More like population:.... Mixed humanoid, undetermined amount. Or just Population: undetermined. It's a mistake to try and control too many variables in these projects. I know it's tempting, but it leads nowhere. Aiming for various accuracies is fine up until it becomes boring. And for some people that occurs sooner than others. Which is why it is generally a better idea to leave the project loose and allow people more reign in what happens in their area.

For instance if the population was really 25,000 and there are more than 27 neighborhoods, each would contain less than a thousand people. Say four to a family that is 231 living spaces, which in a modern setting could be in one single building. In ancient terms it's an entire city, but ancient cities are also physically tiny, ie the ruins of Jericho could entirely fit within area #1 of that map.
    Great point - will update immediately

Its always going to be difficult to achieve the balance of having enough information, and not having enough, but I like that you tell me when its wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Jalerym View Post
    And maybe in the future the city has a really strong historical society, that holds tight sway over places like the castle/stronghold only allowing minor alterations. Sorry I know that is kind of off topic but it's fun to theorize ��

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Theorising is the root of all great dreams.
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-07-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Just logged into the guild server to fix up some WIP scraping magic for the new sub forum here and had a look at the code which runs the zoom map. Discovered I had the wrong URL for the first cwbp so have a lookie at this link:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/l...php?type=cwbp1

and go to Ansium and click on the little icon on the name. Then find the same icon in my patch which is coord 2,2 from the top left and keep jumping down layers.

This is what I had in mind for the sewer or regional linking.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-07-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Oh my! That must have taken you a lifetime to map!

But its very cool

Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast