Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: On hadron colliders, dark matter and black holes

Exactly.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Sure it has the possibility to uncover the truth behind the Higgs Boson... but can the LHC uncover the fnords?
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    Sure it has the possibility to uncover the truth behind the Higgs Boson... but can the LHC uncover the ?
    Uncover the WHAT???? WHY ARE PEOPLE WRITING INCOMPLETE SENTENCES TODAY???????? argh!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Chorus: "FNORD! FNORD! FNORD! FNORD! Lovely FNORD! Lovely FNORD!"

Waitress: "Bloody Vikings!"

Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Uncover the WHAT???? WHY ARE PEOPLE WRITING INCOMPLETE SENTENCES TODAY???????? argh!
    What were talking about?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Fnord is old school as it can sometimes be circumvented by newfangled technology. These days it is that those who shall not be named use for their dark plans.

Where they want to go with it ?
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

So apparently the LHC has been fixed - just in time for the release of Angels and Demons. I'm sure there's no coincidence there... I predict we'll see a small flurry of CERN stories over the coming months. There's a new one today on Yahoo! UK:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090504/...d-41f21e0.html

A few choice lines:
    Engineers have fixed the "Big Bang" machine after an electrical fault led to it being shut-down in September last year.
    Well I guess electricity and electronics were at fault, but I'd say "explosion" would be closer to the mark. Good to know it's pretty much nailed now. The next 4 months will be taken up with cooling and testing of the machine so that they can hit the September restart.

On the subject of Angels and Demons I hear that ATLAS - one of the detectors at the LHC - has been pressed into use as a bit of set for the film, masquerading as an antimatter creation machine. It'll be nice for the experiment to get a bit of Hollywood glamour

On the dark matter side, new data released by the Fermi/Glast satellite over the weekend has thrown all models out of the window. Back to the drawing board for structures of dark matter this week. The race is on to fit the new results.

And that's all for this months update. And oh, just to keep us all up to date with events, and for nostalgia's sake:
    http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdest...eworldyet.com/

Thanks for the updates T. It is also great to know that the LHC has not ended the world. I'm thankful that that site is up to let us know when it happens.

I believe it even has an rss feed....

Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast