Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Well - i'm trying to get use to this and I think me likes Here's what I doodled tonight. looks like a tablet drawing eh ?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks nice, man. Keep it up
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

holycrap, that's amazing!
    toss some labels on that and it's finished!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected 12rounds's Avatar

Another happy long-time tablet user here.
    I have an Intuos3 now.
    I have a Graphire3 as well, but it's just collecting dust now.

Important aspects for me:

-selection of different pens and affordable switchable pen tips (heavy usage will make a Bamboo or Graphire pen tip lose it's shape eventually and a replacement pen apparently costs almost as much as a new tablet)

-programmable buttons and strips (for example strips for zooming are an exceptionally handy invention; you just move your finger over the strip area and bang! - drawing surface gets zoomed; no need to reach for the keyboard or mouse to change drawing settings etc.)

-the level of pressure sensitivity is enough for serious work (after a few years of practice the Graphire 512 levels of pressure sensitivity just isn't enough)

-no batteries like the tablets of other manufacturers (I use my tablet so much that changing the batteries would become a constant headache really fast)

-works in Ubuntu Linux (which I use - just plug it in and it works, although programming the buttons need an extra piece of software)

Granted I've never made a serious map in my life, but I do other 2D work in Photoshop, Inkscape and Gimp - in which cases I see no point in using a mouse anymore. Learning curve to get the initial grasp is just a couple of days, but at least in my case I'm constantly learning new things on how to use the tablet even after using one for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by 12rounds View Post
    -selection of different pens and affordable switchable pen tips (heavy usage will make a Bamboo or Graphire pen tip lose it's shape eventually and a replacement pen apparently costs almost as much as a new tablet)
    $25 US for a plain Bamboo pen... When Circuit City went out of business, I bought a small display model Bamboo Fun for my wife to use, but it was missing the pen and mouse. But considering I got it for $20 when it normally cost $100 at the time, still a good deal at half off.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected 12rounds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    $25 US for a plain Bamboo pen...
    Perhaps so. I checked the price for a Graphire pen once my pen tip started to show signs of deterioration. That was a long time ago and I live in a remote corner of the planet. Perhaps that point is moot for Bamboo tablets.

Guild Applicant

Lots of great comments and advise! I'm looking in to getting a tablet myself and was going to start a thread inquiring but clearly there's no need! Thanks for the tips! Even if they weren't originally for me!

For those in the know, does Art Rage support Intuos tilt? It looks like a much more user-friendly paint program than Painter.

According to the specifications on their web site, it does support pen tilt: ArtRage 2 Features.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Hmmm... I would like to get a tablet. Maybe I should look into these Wacom Graphite or Intuos3's. Anyone have a link to good Websites selling them?

Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast