Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: August/September 2017 Challenge: Planets of hats

Well both types of RAID kill bugs (in a manner of speaking) A computer RAID system (redundant array of independent disks) is 2 or more discs set up to work in parallel as copies of one another. If one goes bad, you still have the other(s).

It works ok if you have enough money to continually replace the odd burned out drive. For some reason the people I entrusted with the maintenance of my system seemed to think that inferior quality HDDs were fine - because I had a RAID system. It used to cost me about Ł200 a year just to keep it going, but I never lost a thing - not even when it finally caught fire during an all night Blender animation render (the main cooling fan gave up)

How is your system? Did you resolve the problem?

You still have a map... I hope?
    Last edited by Mouse; 08-31-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Yes it's running just fine right now. Actually, I've just added the new one on top of the old one. They are both connected but I haven't made the change regarding who the master drive is.

The map is still there. There shouldn’t be a problem since the file is less than 20mb, which is extremely small for a map by my standards.

A few months/years ? age, I lot some of data after my computer got hacked. The files were encrypted and I couldn’t do much. It was not so bad probably because I try to always have a back up for important files and large things I download.

Blog Entries

Glad to hear its all working out.

Just a point about RAID, they are great but obviously if you delete a file then it will delete it on the raid system. So they are good for hard drive failures but if you accidentally delete your working map file then you lose it. So a backup is still pretty useful even if you have raid. I tend to save my working file as file_01.jpg, file_02.jpg etc and keep going. Perhaps when I get to 10 I delete the first 5 but keep a history of old files. Also, I tend to keep all my app installers and I keep the old versions of them too. So if I have firefox15 then upgrade later I will get firefox16 and keep them both. Saved me no end of pain when you have to reinstall the whole system and it then says that it cant install firefox16 because of some system thing but it will allow you to instal 15 and then upgarde it to 16. Also things like Perl for perl magick only work with certain versions of perl because they hook into the DLL which was built for a certain version and any other is incompatible. As time goes on I tend to think of my desktop machine as more of a temporary working thing rather than the master be all and end all set of files. All these encryption malware and so forth means I could bin my desktop and get back to where I need to be with a lot of reinstalls.

I was with Waldronate on the old ZX81 as well. 1K of RAM and the screen had to come out of that at 32x22 bytes so you basically had about 300 bytes of Ram to work with. If you didnt buy the 32K RAM Pack extension box you soon had to learn Z80 assembly to program it. Needs must meant you had to really cut your teeth on that machine. The expectations were a lot lower back then, it was a different world.

When I was on Doze I used to use Ninite for the installers of the software I used and I'd keep the exe it produces on a thumbdrive. So after a reinstall I'd run the exe and head off into the hills* while it did its stuff.

* or the pub.

I think it's an electrical problem. The disk turns itself on/off from time to time. Not sure if the connectors are the problem or the disk itself.
    That's what made Windows crash.

Reboot part 3:

12- Map a local area close to where you live = Earth
    13- Wasteland: A desert = Venus
    14- Map a garden = Mars

part 3 reboot.jpg

A bit of background. The story is set in 2272 starting Lagos. The city is expected to topple Tokyo as the largest city in the world before the end of the century eventually reaching over 100 million people.
    Earth is now united under 1 planetary federation. Countries (now called provinces) have some level of independence.
    Space travel has become more common with the invention of jumpgates, allowing near instantaneous travel between two linked systems.

Several colonies have been established in the Solar system and beyond but most of mankind still live of Earth.
    Venus has floating cities high above the ground.
    Mars terraformation is well underway.

At the end, I will put all the parts together. Not sure how it will come out exactly but it should work.

Part 4:

15- Submerge: An ocean planet with a patch of land or a structure partially submerged.
    This is Kepler 22-b. I used a picture for the clouds. But it could be another planet as well because that one is 600 light years away.
    https://www.nasa.gov/content/kepler-...nding-an-earth

part 4.jpg

Part 5 (final)

16 - Map mountains
    17 - Gothic horror : the black and blue planet. It's mysterious.
    18 - An invitation to remember. The invitation is revealed as the map progress.

Guidelines: (I don't really have a specific landmark, but the rest if there)
    • Create a map that shows travel directions from a major landmark to the wealthy merchant's home;
    • The map must include at least one major landmark;
    • The format must be worthy of a wealthy merchant;

part 5.jpg

I'm almost done. Only the political challenge is missing and I might not finish it.
    All the other 17 challenges are integrated on the map, although some are better fitting than others.

It's meant to tell a story, from left to right.
    Yet the middle system is just a filler.

### Latest WIP ###

final compressed.jpg

I really like how you sort of mapped the planets it looks really illustrative (or something, can't think of the right word). This is really kinda awesome, nice work.

Beautiful illustration, Azelor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast