Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: City of Fogdown - WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Usually a gentle, "yeah, but what about the map?" suffices to get folks back on topic. To be honest, I find it rather extraordinary that we stay on topic as much as we do, rather than wandering off into discussions of hadron collanders.

Back to the point... the flooded cemetery looks much better. Though now I'm having images of corpses floating off and washing up on beaches elsewhere around the island.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Ghalev View Post
    There are many other examples, too ... really, only in stock fantasy worlds are cities required to be surrounded by farmland Early Novgorod had no outside-the-walls farmland at all, for just one example ... but heavy river-traffic (and a bit of cart-traffic) did the trick. And that's without any handwaving or magic to ease the strain. A cool climate helps, of course!
    The city of Venice had as its main problem to secure safe trade routes for grain shipping for the entirety of its existence. This, and to procure wood for the fleet, was a strong reason for its hold over Dalmatia. The rest of the maritime empire always came second.

Edited to Add: I think it's kinda cool that most of the threads on WIPs tend to branch off into unrelated worldbuilding matters in addition to cartographic matters, but is there a site etiquette for requesting cartography-only critiques with no worldbuilding tangents?
    Since the absolute majority of the maps on here have fantastical origins, wouldnt it be awfully dull not to be able to discuss the thought-process that preceeded the map creation?

I like the thought process involved with generating the map and all of its pieces, but I am left wondering about your choice of compass rose in the upper left hand corner. It seems to be of a completely different style than the rest of the piece both in style and placement. Just my 2 cents
    Something witty and pithy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123