Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: August/September 2017 Challenge: Dwarf City

All those green squares are quads, it is basically reducing the geometry of the mesh in order to reduce the memory/calculating burden on the computer. Re-topoing is slang for redoing the topology which is drawing new quads over the current model, which is all that green stuff.

Oh I see

Isn't there a 'simplify mesh' button anywhere in... what is that app? 3D Coat?

Yeah there a few auto retoplogy algorithm tools in 3D Coat, but I wasn't getting useful results. It's not optimized for such a weird unsymmetrical shape though I think.

I'm not a huge fan of Blender's version of that (the simplify mesh modifier) for the very same reason - the poly's don't ever end up where they should, so I'm also struggling pretty badly with all my 14 separate Blender generated 'O'Gray's Pearls' on my own map (no one has seen them yet because its all going really wrong )

I thought you were doing them in Vue (and that they looked fantastic)?

The two I've already done are Vue landscapes, but I need to be able to create new objects, like not quite filling one of the pearls with an ocean, which can't be done in Vue because its not really a modelling environment in the sense of actually being able to draw a spherical section of ocean, complete with waves on the surface. So... and because 3D Coat just freezes up on my pea-brained laptop... I've turned to Blender.

hehe. I feel for you Mouse. I'f I had a good water shader I'd share it with you, but all of mine are merely serviceable for the moment. Use an HDRI to light it though, it goes a long way.

OMG

I'm only just learning how to use the Cycles thing - don't even know what all the nodes do yet! LOL!

I have a feeling that your far greater experience with all these 3D apps, shaders and render machines will tell in the end - its already telling

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This is looking good! I'm totally out of my depth with 3D rendering, I played with some tools many years ago but never got very far. Huge respect for the time you're putting in learning this, it's great to see some more of your work with it!

cheers,
    Meshon

That boat is really awesome. It look like it't a real toy.

I played a bit with the 3d softwares lately and there is a steep learning curve. I tried blender first then sketchup and I managed to do what I wanted with the latter but if I understand correctly, blender offers more possibilities?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast