Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May/June 2016 Lite Mapping Challenge: Here Is Your Commission. a Map for a Book.

Funny thing... I said I would probably sit this one out... but i found myself sitting in front of my laptop last night, considering how I might work certain elements to this map... and I actually drew out a land mass I thought might work for it. So perhaps I will give this one a try after all. I can't say it will be very good... but I will see what I can come up with
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Funny thing... I said I would probably sit this one out... but i found myself sitting in front of my laptop last night, considering how I might work certain elements to this map... and I actually drew out a land mass I thought might work for it. So perhaps I will give this one a try after all. I can't say it will be very good... but I will see what I can come up with
    I knew you'd find a way!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

go for it ladiestorm... another way to do it all would be to make the map in your preferred program, then after saving it as a jpg og png - download gimp and open the file there - then add extra illustrations in there
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Re the crater, is that a land crater, or a crater lake? Or doesn't it matter?

Re style, is it to be printed in a book ie black and white, or fully coloured?

Are there any defined names or shall we just go crazy and make them up?
    Last edited by Robulous; 05-23-2016 at 10:12 AM.

All your choice. Whatever you think looks best. If you do a line drawing, assume it is going in a paperback, but if you do a large color map then maybe her novel is going to be a large graphic novel printed on glossy color paper. If you put names on the map she will use them in her writing, if you don't label the towns she will make up names in her story. She requested an asteroid crater with a wizards tower somewhere in it, but with a lake or not is up to you.

She just has a story idea and an outline. She is hoping to get inspiration and ideas from the map to help her write the novel.
    Last edited by Bogie; 05-23-2016 at 01:28 PM.

I'm in ! Will post something tomorrow ! Time to sketch !

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Ha ok I'm giving it a go. I'm assuming this is a theoretical author?

Actually... I think I'm writing the story Maybe I'm the author...and this is my way to get a better map for it
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

I have to say, there are a lot of good entries for this and so quickly too. Something about this challenge must have really engaged people.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Speaking for myself: As soon as I saw the challenge, I realized that a map in a real front-of-a-book format would be a great thing to have in my portfolio, to point back to for any future prospective commissions. I also wanted to show myself that I could do such a thing within the time allotted, since usually I am much slower. But, best of all, after I read the description certain aspects of the map kind of sprang fully-formed into my mind, and then I just couldn't resist!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast