Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Distances of Interest

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Or... slightly smaller than texas
    Have Pen. Will Map.
    Have Dice. Will Travel.
    GM for Hire | Artist and Cartographer | Free Quotes on

Larger even than Texas, actually. TX is 262,000 sq miles.

But much smaller than Alaska, which is 572,000 sq miles.

For my own reference, I was looking at the "Four Corners" states: Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and Arizona when I was working out my topography. I neglected to go back there before I did my settlements. Even so, considering the number of ruined cities I placed in Tawaren, I think my pre-plague population level would be about right, and a map of this scale wouldn't necessarily show smaller populations unless they were significant in some other way.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

True... I was estimating the distance up and down ... roughly 700 x 500 miles... sq distances that aren't in a neat box cause me anguish. Whenever I'm mapping out areas like these, I always keep a point of reference that I understand. This is almost always done by figuring distance between cities in the U.S. Since I spent four years driving a truck over the road, I've been to every one of the continental US states save for North Dakota. So for the 600 x 600 miles I equate the distance across as being a trip from El Paso to Dallas. Since I've driven that before (more than several times) I can then put down towns and cities and other features with some confidence.

Have Pen. Will Map.
    Have Dice. Will Travel.
    GM for Hire | Artist and Cartographer | Free Quotes on

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I came across the term from a puzzle so given that were into full on puzzle mode this month - have a go at it if you dare...

http://stuhasic.com/enigma/enigm023.htm
    I've solved it! And I even documented how I arrived at my answer, just in case anyone wants a hint.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

For fantasy battlemaps:

1 "pace" = 5 feet

Since I wanted to depart from the "you enter a thirty-foot-by-thirty-foot" room descriptions, I decided to create a fairly equitable system where I just had to count map squares.

(A pace is the average distance the Sarat covered for his left foot to hit the ground twice while crossing a bridge in my campaign)

This also seems a lot more like it would be a guesstimate for characters. "You enter a room approximately six by five paces". It makes it easier to hide secret rooms in buildings. (If the players want to pull out their measuring-rope, they certainly can....)

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

I was doing a random search for map reasources and found this site... (www.indo.com) not sure if you all knew about this yet or not but I thought it was worth a link.

It is a location distance generator thing? (How far is it?)

----Search out put looks like this----
    Distance between Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States and London, England, United Kingdom, as the crow flies:

4649 miles (7482 km) (4040 nautical miles)

Initial heading from Oklahoma City to London:
    northeast (42.1 degrees)
    Initial heading from London to Oklahoma City:
    west-northwest (298.8 degrees)

Oklahoma City, USA:

London, England:

----------------------------------

-Chris
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Ooh! That is sweet.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234