Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Inkling...

Hmmm, here's the line drawing and the inkling translation of a half doodled city....looks like the pen sometimes doesn't register and if you don't pick it up (by looking at the lights) you could end up drawing a lot of nothing. Also, look at the little round dotted towers which seemed to have jumped a bit from their original locations (not sure why).

It's early days yet and I might be doing something wrong - I'll keep working it at it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks for posting this! Very curious how this is working out as I also wanne press that 'order now' button cheers, DJ

Just tried again, and although it's better (losing the top was my fault as I had the drawing less than 2 cm from the receiver) in that I haven't lost any lines the tracking still seems to be off by up to 1 or 2 mm in places (each small square is 5mm). I'm not sure if this thing is built for precision - maybe more for larger drawings (or it could just be me). I really want to love it though; being able to rotate the page as I draw is really cool. It's also making me want to learn how to draw with natural media.

Of course I can't draw to save my life, so it would be interesting to see what a proper artist can do. I wonder whether the tracking issue has something to do with the fact that I like to hold the pen at quite a low angle to the page.

Looks as if it needs some calibration. It's pretty off from what you're drawing. Is there some sort of detailed calibration routine you can run? In the demos I've seen it certainly seems that the original is much closer to the digitized drawing. It seems like a really cool tool (and I want one) but if that's the best it can do then it's no good for 'technical' drawings (which is what I tend to do) but maybe awesome for quick gestural drawing for cleanup on the PC.
    M

@ Mearrin - unlike the tablets the only calibration you can do with the inkling is for the pen pressure (as far as I know). See the test below where I think I've found the reason.
    @ DJ - I would hold off ordering the Inkling for now because (a) it may not be good enough for what you need and (b) there is a huge backlog on delivery anyway. I would also wait to see more reviews coming out.

I wanted to try to get to the bottom of the tracking issue and why the inkling sometimes seemed to track well and why so badly in the same drawing. I put it down to 3 possible reasons: - general erratic behaviour or pen angle or rotating the page.

As you can see from the test below, pen angle doesn't seem to make a big difference but rotating the page makes a huge difference (and being able to rotate the page while I drew was one of the main reasons for buying the inkling). The conclusion is that the tracking remains consistent at any given rotation, but is inconsistent between rotations.

I'm going to post this finding on the Wacom boards to see if there are any solutions

Ah....I should have read the FAQ which says:

Re: Several issues with Inkling

by Wacom » Tue 25. Oct 2011, 12:20
    Inkling is not as precise as a tablet and more designed for rough sketches and notes. The Inkling FAQ states that in general, sketches with Inkling will be accurate to within +/- 2.5 mm in the main drawing area of an A4 page, and within +/- 5.0 mm at the edges of the page. There are various factors which can affect the accurary like tilt of the pen, sunlight, 'white' noise etc. There is a more detailed section in the FAQ on the Inkling site.

OK, that's that one answered then!

I was thinking it was a lighting issue...try it with really good light such that you have no shadows (the pen is going to make some anyhow) and see if it's better. I don't know how they track the pen but if it's visually I expect the light is going to be a problem.

Or hey, test out what happens by drawing in the dark (LOL, but I'm semi-serious).
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast