Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: June 2017 Challenge: The Hanging Gardens of Magrael

Guild Expert

Awesome! I really like this style of cliffs you've been developing, and the colours in this one are really nice, great job so far.

Thank you Kacey

I've been working on the bridges... and the lakes, and I've added a compass and a scale, and... I've done a lot of little things - all of which have taken a horrendous amount of time, even though I'm not convinced that any of it makes much difference.

You will have to forgive me for the 'knife edge' width of the bridges. It was all I could do to get the ISO geometry sort of half right with the arches. Besides, they are at least 10 feet wide if I've got the scale right. You just don't have to cross them in the night without a torch!

### Latest WIP ###
    Magrael with insets 03.jpg

And now its just occurred to me that I'm going to have to draw lots of steps everywhere!

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Mouse, it looks wonderful already! =) I'm however unsure about the trees, especially on the northern parts of the plateaus. I feel like they would benefit from a little more edge-control to not fade out as the grass does, but be a bit more precise. It's nitpicking, however - I just always feel I have to give a thought on what I would try even though it's wonderful!
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Wow, this is amazing. The bridges look great.

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    Mouse, it looks wonderful already! =) I'm however unsure about the trees, especially on the northern parts of the plateaus. I feel like they would benefit from a little more edge-control to not fade out as the grass does, but be a bit more precise. It's nitpicking, however - I just always feel I have to give a thought on what I would try even though it's wonderful!
    Thank you Steffen

The trees are proving to be more of a problem for me than the cliffs. I think its because I haven't done any of the shadows around the edges just yet, but I'm leaving that till last - along with doing the rest of the fiddly green bits on the cliffs themselves. I also think the pine trees are possibly a bit too large!

Quote Originally Posted by HadrianVI View Post
    Wow, this is amazing. The bridges look great.
    Thank you Hadrian

It took me a whole day just to draw them, so I'm very relieved they fit the rest of the map

A whole day?! No wonder they look this perfect. I don't think I would have this kind of patience.

I spent a lot less on my entire map:p

Aw thank you. 'Perfect' is a very high accolade indeed!

It took forever trying to work out all the angles and what would/wouldn't be visible - even with a simple structure like a bridge without any fancy bits.

You spent less than a day on your entire map?

Now that I don't believe!

And here it is : the remnant of old islands, now splendid gardens in a sea of dunes.
    It's simply great, Mouse .

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Whoa. Those bridges... fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    And here it is : the remnant of old islands, now splendid gardens in a sea of dunes.
    It's simply great, Mouse .
    Aw thank you Ilanthar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Whoa. Those bridges... fantastic.
    Thank you D

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast