Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: City Of Riverhewn WIP First map in GIMP

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The easiest fix for your city houses is to cut some holes in the middle of each large house/block. This will make a courtyard. Then, if you like, go back and use a 1-pixel eraser and put some tiny tiny alleys in and that sort of separates the roofs. Then you add a bevel and voila.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That's basically what I was suggesting...in too many words. I just fired up my desktop and was going to do up an example from his posted map. Hopefully it won't take me too long.
    M

edit: And, BTW, your "easter egg" is very flattering. LOL.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The easiest fix for your city houses is to cut some holes in the middle of each large house/block. This will make a courtyard. Then, if you like, go back and use a 1-pixel eraser and put some tiny tiny alleys in and that sort of separates the roofs. Then you add a bevel and voila.
    Oh boy..The Streetsweeps are going to have my head...

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    That's basically what I was suggesting...in too many words. I just fired up my desktop and was going to do up an example from his posted map. Hopefully it won't take me too long.
    M

edit: And, BTW, your "easter egg" is very flattering. LOL.
    Yeah..sorry M I'm a little dense when it comes to some of this stuff I looked up what a bevel is supposed to look like and I aint got it...and your welcome I had to give you credit somewhere
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

NP. It's not like this stuff is easy! Take a look at the capture file...sort of shows what I was talking about. In the hopes that it's useful to you I've attached a PSD file. I think they open in GIMP. Basically I took a snip of your map and blew it up a bit (I assume your working file is higher resolution that what you're posting) and then did some work on it. I lifted the buildings and made them a single-color base layer and then did some judicious erasing and painting to suggest building shapes and courtyards. Then I took that layer and duplicated it to apply a texture and a bevel (and a color adjustment for variety since I'm only using one texture). Got carried away prettying up the courtyards and such...might not show on your map depending upon scale. The PSD should, hopefully, answer any questions but, if not, let me know and we'll figure out how to translate this from PS to GIMP. Hope it helps.
    M

Edit: That frame's on there because the bevel gets borked if it goes right up to an edge and I wanted to keep this a live file (not flattened) so you can see it. Sure hope the layer styles translate to GIMP. If not we may have some more figuring to do.
    Edit2: Added a little zoomout of your map with my excerpt circled.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mearrin69; 09-18-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Map

Wow...That looks awesome I was just about to quit and In fact had posted my "uncle" post for this map and then I saw that...Ok you did all that work for me there's now way I can quit on you now. I will get this figured out even if I have to start all the buildings over again. M again thanks so much. Oh and because I thought it was slightly funny In my fit of frustration I did the map I should have started with...

In The Magical Land Of Algabreium Sits The Isle Of Right.....

isle of right.jpg
    Last edited by jtougas; 09-18-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Can't quit now..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Hey. No worries. It's a great map...especially for a first time city map!
    M

Blog Entries

Wip Riverhewn Once Again Evacuated as dreaded Monochrome descends upon city...

In Breaking News: Disaster once again struck the city Of Riverhewn overnight as a bizarre white hue settled over the city. In a fit of insanity the city designer at great cost teleported himself to the Isle of Right in the parallel land of Algebraium......

So here's where we stand as of today. removed all of my building layers as the more I looked at it the more all the different roof textures became a distraction. I am in the process of redoing the city blocks. As always feedback is requested and sincerely appreciated...Thanks!!
    Riverhewn Phase 5.jpg

Finished Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

As I'm always telling my employees, "anything worth doing is worth doing right". Glad to see you sticking with this and taking the time and effort to make it right. It can get tedious at times but, in the end, it's worth it. So...with that bit of down-home philosophy out of the way I'd say take them houses from the farmlands and put a few scattered around the city to make sure that you keep the scale right.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Scale...I'm going to have that word tattooed on the inside of my eyelids so I don't forget.......

Finished Maps

Good advice about keeping the scale. I blew this concept with my NYC map and ended up sketching a whole bunch of trees at entirely the wrong scale...because I thought I had it sussed and zoomed in to 400% to work on them. Wasted at least an hour on it.

BTW, while you're working on this, I'd suggest considering rotating each of your farmhouses (and other extra-city buildings) randomly a little. If they're on separate layers this should be easy. If they're all on the same layer it's probably not much harder...in Photoshop you just select one using the rectangular marquee or other tool and then transform and rotate. That transforms the selection but keeps it in the same layer. Not sure if that works in Gimp or not.

Bevel Police? Great, another badge to try to earn.
    M

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast