Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Feb/Mar 2017 Lite Challenge: The Cephalopod Class Battle Cruiser

Figured out a better way of drawing the arms as bevelled curves, but boy... 8 of them - all bent differently all over the place. It took some organisation!

Now I need to work out the mantle. I think that's the right name for it - the webbing between all the arms. Then I need to get just the right ISO type angle of shot, and then I have to do the map part of the work - drawing it on top of the second copy of the image so that it looks cut away.

Ceph blender 02.png

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Aahh... yes, I see now. But the Vorlon ship is more like a squid than an octopus

http://babylon5.wikia.com/wiki/Kosh's_ship
    That's not a squid: http://lost.spelljammer.org/Shattere...quid-ship.html is a squid!

(Spelljammer was always a source of inspired silliness, up to and including http://spelljammer.wikia.com/wiki/Giant_space_hamster powered gnomish ships)
    Last edited by waldronate; 03-11-2017 at 02:29 AM.

LOL! I'm thinking I'm being too fussy trying to get this octopus right!

Pity I can't see that hamster ship! Maybe nobody wanted to draw it?

The search term to tickle the googlybeast with is "gnomish sidewheeler". For additional amusement, try "mind flayer nautiloid", "elven flitter", "neogi mindspider", "spelljammer octopus", or even just "spelljammer ships".

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2ZjgvH0YaH...pelljammer.jpg turned up an appropriate image.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Sorry, Mouse, I really thought I'd commented on this thread, but I guess your threads do move sooo quickly! Anywho, I just wanted to say it's great to see another Mouse challenge entry. I always love seeing you trying out new things and I've never seen anything quite like this from you before!

Keep up the good work and the awesome space stuff!

...Oh, and I may be able to sneak in an entry into this challenge after all.

Waldrontate - I guess Spelljammer just about has the monopoly on completely insane space craft! LOL!

Thanks GLS Its not actually going that well right now. You know that image of the swan gliding across the surface of the pond? Well don't forget the feet that are paddling away like Billy-oh just under the water line to achieve that very same illusion of serenity! LOL!

Great to hear you're going to join in Can't wait to see what you will do!

Here is the official version of a gnomish sidewheeler: SIDEWHEELER.jpg

And here's another more exotic one: CLICK HERE

Oh now that second one I really like... and I'm definitely being rather too fussy about getting this Cephalopod anatomically correct! LOL!

I think that looks awesome. It's really coming together Mouse.

LOL! Thanks Falconius! If only you could see the tussle I'm having trying to texture the thing so it doesn't look like its made of rubber... and as for painting texture masks!!! OMG!!! And all the official tutorials I really want to see aren't free, so I'm just going to have to carry on muddling through, since belonging to that particular set of people would be almost as expensive as hiring PS!!!!

So much for 'free'. the software is free, and the simple classes are free on YouTube, but if you really want to use it to do anything special...

Oh well - the result should at least be pretty... er... interesting, even if it isn't going to be very good because of the dosh situation

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast