Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: June / July '17 Lite Challenge: Inspired by Malacandra

Makes perfect sense, and I agree.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

I've got to say, the curvature and the lighting/shading already make this a treat in its raw form, Mouse.

Thanks Wired

And don't worry, the vegetation will still be pink. I can't get away from the script that easily now I've stated it was inspired by the book!

It works

You can export a transparent png from ArtRage Lite and import it back into the GIMP file...

The book ties my hands. These vertical green and white rocks are just as they are described

Malacandra 09.jpg
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-09-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Ohhh, if you keep up with the shadows this'll be marvelous!

Thank you

I'm having a few visualisation problems with the way the cliffs and the dead forests of the highlands are described. Lewis doesn't exactly contradict himself, but the scale of the dead forests seems to be a bit off. The green and white mountains are said to be taller and thinner and more dramatic than Earth mountains due to the lower gravity, but the dead forests are visible from the canyon floors (presumably 1-2 miles deep) hanging over their tops (They are mistaken initially for 'giant' pink clouds). This would then have them being as tall as the mountains over again, in order to appear to be looming over them when viewed from below. Hmmm......

I think my next update may be a while, since this is not coming very naturally to my usual semi-photorealistic style! LOL!

I've run out of time.

With only 4 days left I've only just worked out how to make the cliffs look right, and this tiny segment took me over an hour to get right.

Final.JPG

Its about 1/100 of the work to be done on the cliffs, and I haven't even started on the forests, so rather than rush it and make a mess of it all I'm pulling out of the Challenge.

Sorry!

Wow
    This looks very very promising, too bad you wont finish in time.
    Is ArtRage so good with tools, or you just decided to show your true potencial to us at last ?
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Hey Voolf

Not sure what you mean *Mouse looks confused*

The software was less than £30, so I wasn't expecting as much as I got. I did, however, hit the barrier pretty quickly - the barrier being where the software can't do what you want it to be able to do.

I should point out, though, that this is only the Lite version, not the professional version.

I'm sitting here right now, wishing I had a real canvas spare to actually do this as a painting for real. It would be a lot quicker, and I'd probably finish in time, but a) I don't have a canvas, and b) it would still be too wet and shiny to show true in a photo, and definitely couldn't be scanned for at least a month. LOL! Scanning it would also be a pain, since I work large, and getting a large painting scanned is pretty expensive.

(now you have this image of me using rollers and 6" brushes on a canvas the size of a wall )

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    (now you have this image of me using rollers and 6" brushes on a canvas the size of a wall )
    rollers and 6" brushes used by a tiny mouse

I can image you jumping on the wall with all of that stuff like that

I did not mean to confuse you. I was just wondering whether ArtRage has some nice features you used for this wip. If you just painted it same as in gimp it just shows you have some nice dormant talent inside.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast