Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Aug/Sep Lite Entry - City of Gold

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

You definitely should!

man, this is going to be a rough vote with all the good entries again

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice Jykke, though I still find it a bit dark and tough to read the text.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Very nice Jykke, though I still find it a bit dark and tough to read the text.
    It's a sign in a mining colony. Would it be more odd if it was brand new and shiny ? I might try to adjust the text so it is easier to read, but i hope it doesn't matter too much if i don't.

I really like it. The text is plenty easy to read, imo. Could you try adding a drop shadow to the map rectangles, to make them look like they are popping out of the metal slab they are on? Or perhaps you could use some sort of bevel to make them appear "pushed in" on the sign? Unless you're going for a flat look...

Looks fantastic!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jykke View Post
    It's a sign in a mining colony. Would it be more odd if it was brand new and shiny ? I might try to adjust the text so it is easier to read, but i hope it doesn't matter too much if i don't.
    Don't change it if you like it the way it is, I usually have trouble reading the text on darker maps like this (I'm getting old and my eyes are doing weird things to me lately).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

As an image it is very cool and totally appropriate, as a map it is too dark, even for me (and I love dark).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I just took a closer look again today, I still love it. I can see why some might be saying text is too dark, on the left portion, the mining drill and pod are very hard to read and/or make out. On the other hand, the smaller view in the top right does point them out clearly, so to me that mkaes up for it. This is definitely not the mine they use to show off to prospective shareholders

Depending on how disaffected your workers are, maybe they're even in the habit of tossing up graffiti? But really, it's perfect the way it is, in my mind. (that's my fiddly side coming through again, it doesn't know when to let go)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Journeyer

I'll add my vote for lightening up the left side a little. I can barely see anything there. It's like 3/4 of the map is just a dark stain. Not that it's a bad thing for realism sake, but it seems to be wasting a lot of real estate.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

I'm not sure if this is an improvement or not. I had to work with a version of the map that didn't have layers and use a program I hadn't used before. But this is probably the last version of the map because I can't work on it on my home computer before the challenge ends.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jykke; 09-17-2009 at 04:35 PM.

brilliant.

I have no other words for it

My finished maps

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast